Aortic valve replacment

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, Moderator3

Aortic valve replacment

Postby Sammy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi, my name is Sammy and I have mixed aortic valve disease,

I am due to have a valve replacement within the next couple of weeks. I was diagnosed with narrow valves when I was 13 and had then widened by balloon angioplasty with key hole surgery. I was also told that I would probably one day need them replacing. I am now 28 and over the last two years the valves have narrowed and are now at a severe stage. It was explained to me that I could either have mechanical or tissue valve replacement. Myself and my partner are wanting to start a family in the next few years and so we have decided that a tissue valve replacment would be best, not only because of starting a family but also due to my age and the fact I have quite an active lifestyle and job.

Although I have always kinda known I would need my valves replacing at some point, I have never let my diagnosis stop me from doing anything. I have always been active and have had no problem with this lifestyle. Now I am on the waiting list because it is time for a replacment and I do get some chest pains now. I find it so hard to suddendly not be able to do everything I have always managed to do with ease. I am so scared to have open heart surgery. I do not want a scar and I am so scared of not waking up or waking up to the state I will be in. I dont like the thought that I will wake up and not be/have everything that I was born with. I will have different valves that arent part of my biological body. I have become so anxious about the surgery that I seem to cry everyday at some point about it. I am sorry for the essay but felt like I wanted to get things off my mind.

Can anyone relate to this or have any advice on how to come to terms with open heart surgery.

Thank you for reading
Sammy

Return to General Discussion Group