Vegeterians

We're all more than just our Heart Conditions, so if you want to discuss last nights TV, your favourite sport, or just the price of fish, this is the place.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Vegeterians

Postby Ali » Tue May 17, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering how many GUCH's are vegeterians or vegans, and how many thought that being a veggie is better for you than eating meat.

:lol:
Ali xx
Ali

Postby elizabeth » Wed May 18, 2005 12:21 pm

I'm not a veggie, definitely not a vegan - I like eating meat :)

It's easier to get all the necessary vitamins etc if you eat meat.

There are probably about as many views on what type of diet is best as there are people in the world!
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Postby Ruth » Sun May 22, 2005 10:49 am

Hi Ali,

I'm vegetarian and have been since I was 17 - which as I'm now 39 is over half my life (aagghh!!!). When I became veggie in 1983 I didn't know a single other vegetarian and was deemed pretty weird (OK things may not have changed on that front too much....!). How things have moved on with vegetarian meals being available almost everywhere these days (even if cooks'/chefs' imaginations leave something to be desired...). The decision to become vegetarian was rather corny - I hated to think of eating the little lambs in the field - nothing to do with health really; however, I'd never liked handling raw meat and wouldn't eat anything beyond the basic pork, beef, etc.

Besides my CHD, I'm pretty healthy and hardly get ill at all (I actually have a sore throat this morning but that's very unusual for me) so my diet can't be doing me much harm.

One of my bugbears in life - people who call themselves vegetarian but eat fish - they're not vegetarian!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Ruth
:D
Ruth

Postby joanna » Mon May 23, 2005 1:52 pm

I was a vegetarian for a while but my doctor told me to rethink it because I need all the iron I can get and the best source is through meat. But I do try to keep it at a minimum.
joanna

Postby jessica » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I turned vegetarian in Aug 2003, and then vegan in Oct 2004. I then had to visit my hemotologist (sp?) (i'm on warfarin) as my INR had gone to over 5 and my range is between 2 - 3. I was quite worried, although my dr wasn't. When I mentioned that I had gone vegan a few months before, he was supportive. Before I had gone to discuss my INR results with him, I had found a list of foods that affect the INR, including soya. I was concerned about this, but all my dr said was to make sure that I didn't eat foods that had a high content of Vit K in.

I have also mentioned turning vegan to my GP, and she wasn't worried either.

Anyone worried about their iron intake, dried apricots are the best source of iron on a vegetarian/vegan diet.

Cu around,

Jess

:D
jessica

Postby Pammie_ruby » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:57 pm

hi folks. I have just recently became a veggie(5 weeks ago) and now getting worried. I have to go in for more heart surgey and now feel that i have changed my eating habits i might not have the same immune sytem, strength etc... to deal with the opp.
I dont really want to eat meat, but if it helps me recover i will have to, or is their any vitamins that can substitute meat.
Pam
Pammie_ruby

Postby Ree » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:41 am

hey
i was a veggie till i was 18 - frm birth
but love meat nw cant live without it !!!
nothing was ever said to me about it being bad for u being a veggie cuz u dont get all the vitamins but apparantley sum1 was saying that if you eat ceratin fruit and veg u can get all vitamins and minerals frm ther instead of meat,
but who knows?
xxxXXxxx Ree xxxXXxxx
Ree

Re: Vegeterians

Postby Adam » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Old threads are cool.

Yep, veggies live longer - I'll have some of that.
Adam

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 am

I've been a veggie for nearly thirty years now and don't have any problems with vitamins, nutrients etc. I'm convinced that for me it's a healthier diet.
Tricky Dicky

Postby susan manley » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 am

I think the 'for me' bit is really important. We all have different lives and needs and if it works for you WELL DONE!!!

:) :) :) :
susan manley

Postby Adam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Adam

Postby Mustard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 am

yup, on average vegetarians live 7 years longer than 'meat eaters'.

that's an odd you wanna stack in your favour defo!!!
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:00 am

yup, on average vegetarians live 7 years longer than 'meat eaters'.

that's an odd you wanna stack in your favour defo!!!
Mustard

Return to Non-heart Related Topics