Housing

We're all more than just our Heart Conditions, so if you want to discuss last nights TV, your favourite sport, or just the price of fish, this is the place.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Housing

Postby chantelle1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Has anyone had any problems getting any property's. I've been living with my parents since I came back from uni and I've been trying to get a property since then. Council have turned round and said because I have a heart condition I need caring for so they won't even other me a property but they won't put this in writing.
I've been to an mp but she said it was someone else that deals with this but they won't get back to me.
Any advice would be great
Thanks
Coarction of the aorta corrected 1988
Bicuspid aortic valve
chantelle1

Re: Housing

Postby Mustard » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:13 pm

can you work? do you work? do you need 'caring' for?

i.e. why a council property rather than private.
Mustard

Postby chantelle1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 pm

At moment I'm looking for a job. Yes I can work. No I don't need caring for.
Need council as I don't have the money to put down for deposit for private.
Bicuspid aortic valve
chantelle1

Postby Mustard » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 pm

very often you'll find people are flexible with deposits, i.e. pay over 2/3 months not WE NEED 6 WEEKS UPFRONT MATE that kinda stuff.

i had to do it where i live as they wanted 2 months deposit + 1 months rent and i said, we've got a deal but we'll need to work out the details.

council may also be worse for your mental health longer term.
Mustard

Postby HelenB68 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi Chantelle,
First of all I am absolutely outraged by Mustard's statement below.
Mustard wrote:
council may also be worse for your mental health longer term.

What the hell does that mean?
Are you implying that everyone who lives in a council property is going to be harrassed by bad neighbours?
What are you saying about people in council properties, are they somehow not as nice as those who rent privately or can afford to buy? That is the worst kind of snobbery, but just what I would expect from you Mustard.
If you have an experience to share why not share it?
My experience is this, I lived in two flats private rented, the first had damp and no heating and was freezing, the second was better but there were rats in the ceiling/ floor of the flat upstairs. We were out in the countryside. We then had one housing association and one council flat.
Housing Association flat was nice, big, warm, council flat had brand new kitchen, brand new bathroom and had just been renovated when we moved in. Only one problem with neighbours but she soon got moved on.
I have a pulmonary atresia and have had a stroke, do not need caring for. I work part time. We had no trouble getting on the housing list and neither should you. Both properties were offered to us very quickly, two weeks and about two days for the second one. We were very lucky and both were nice and suitable properties.
My husband works in housing and there is no way that you should be turned down, disabled people are usually prioritised.
Make an appointment to see your local housing officer and explain face to face, they will be able to see you don't need a carer, but even if you did it's not relevant, they are discriminating against you.

As you are not working at the moment social housing is your best bet, unless you've got someone who can bank roll you as many private landlords won't take housing benefit claimants.

We lived in the 3nd flat for over 10 years, bought and now have a mortgage on a 3 bed ex-council property. Again lovely area, no problems with neighbours, but I guess that depends on where you live.
Best of luck.
Love
Helen
x :)
HelenB68

Postby Mustard » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Absolutely I can explain it, not from my opinion but from the office of national statistics - which won't take into account personal situations, but overall situations.
Take the Acorn c.a.c.i. demographic profiling of the UK. http://acorn.caci.co.uk

then jump to the categories....

skip a few to the bottom of the page...

then dig deeper...

and drill down to health...

I'm not agreeing with it - i am just presenting these data which are accurate. People are just people, we're all the same, but the level of healthcare, mental health and long term health does vary significantly depending on where you live.

My personal experience, grew up with my mum on a reasonable sized council in south devon, loved it - people were people, still got loads of mates from 30+ years ago :o)
Now where I live is a bit different "snobbish" you may call it, but people are still people. However, these data are powerful and whilst I agree that on any single individual level the stats become meaningless, it would be foolish to ignore it.

Helen, don't be outraged, you'll live longer :o)
Mustard

Postby HelenB68 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm

No I wouldn't call it snobbish as I don't judge people on where they live.
O.K maybe your statistics back you up but what I can't understand is if you want to say something why do you have to say it in a way that is so inflammatory.
Helen
I don't have time to get outraged by you Mustard, I 'm having an op in a months time so I've got more to worry about.
HelenB68

Postby Mustard » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 pm

I see your point Helen and do come across as rather abrupt - it isn't intended to be read that way; I can promise that I was only looking at it from the OP's best possible outcome.

Hope for the most positive outcome with your op next month. :)
Mustard

Postby chantelle1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks for replies. I've already actually been an seen them face to face, I might have an other go. I just need my own space as I'm having to pay out for storage as we don't have the room. They just don't listen, I even tried to go on priority list as I also have problems with my legs so getting up and down stairs can be a problem but they said I didn't need to go on priority as there's no problem with living with my parents.
Bicuspid aortic valve
chantelle1

Postby HelenB68 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 am

I can't believe that Chantelle, that's awful. Do housing expect you to live with your parents for the rest of your life? Have you tried Housing Associations or are they all the same thing where you live?
Mustard wrote:I see your point Helen and do come across as rather abrupt - it isn't intended to be read that way; I can promise that I was only looking at it from the OP's best possible outcome.

Hope for the most positive outcome with your op next month. :)

Thanks Mustard I appreciate that.
Helen
x :)
HelenB68

Postby chantelle1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:07 pm

I think they do expect me to live with my parents for rest of my life. I have tried one housing association but they don't do properties where I'd like. I'll have to have at look at others.

Hope your op goes ok Helen
Bicuspid aortic valve
chantelle1

Postby Mustard » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:21 pm

chantelle1 wrote:I think they do expect me to live with my parents for rest of my life. I have tried one housing association but they don't do properties where I'd like. I'll have to have at look at others.

Hope your op goes ok Helen

Another option - and I have no idea but is to give the somerville foundation a call and talk to them, they may well be able to point you in the direction of some financial help or even have some sorta grant/fund for this.

part of their charity vision, where everyone born with a heart condition receives excellent medical care, and happy healthy lives, living to their full potential. - so maybe - worth a call anyway :o)
Mustard

Postby millahjovich » Thu May 26, 2016 11:22 am

At moment I'm looking for a job. Yes I can work. No I don't need caring for.
Need council as I don't have the money to put down for deposit for private.
millahjovich

Return to Non-heart Related Topics