Anniversary Games - my anniversary too

We're all more than just our Heart Conditions, so if you want to discuss last nights TV, your favourite sport, or just the price of fish, this is the place.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Anniversary Games - my anniversary too

Postby Pat M Straughan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Am I the only person on the planet who missed nearly all of the Olympics last year? A year ago tomorrow, I was transferred from my local hospital to St Thomas's. Having been told that I would be transferred in the afternoon I got half an hour's notice to be ready as the ambulance personnel wanted to beat the Olympic traffic. Didn't get to go in the special Olympic traffic lanes as we were not on a blue light. :(

The ward that I first went to had only an old non-digital TV or else the pay variety. Our shiny brand new local hospital has individual rooms with TVs paid for by the league of friends.

A few days post AVR op and I got a text from my son: just look out of the window, have you ever seen such a crowd? We got a ringside seat as the marathon runners went past. What a roar from the crowd as they came across Westminster Bridge.

As the ward I was now in had a TV room with a (free) TV that worked, I watched the closing ceremony in my nightie, with an otherwise all male audience, one of whom was a prisoner chained to two officers. Bizarre.

Later that night there was a fantastic light show across the Houses of Parliament opposite, with huge images of the athletes. It felt like it was special, a reward just for the patients. Watching some of the anniversary games this weekend has brought it all back. Every cloud has a silver lining?
Pat M Straughan

Re: Anniversary Games - my anniversary too

Postby elizabeth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Certainly sounds like an experience to remember!

I didn't take much notice of the Olympics because I'm not interested in sport. Slightly different.
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Return to Non-heart Related Topics