Singing

We're all more than just our Heart Conditions, so if you want to discuss last nights TV, your favourite sport, or just the price of fish, this is the place.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Singing

Postby hulmerist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm learning how to sing and I'm finding it difficult to have enough breath to last until the end of the verse. I'm hoping this is just because I'm new at it and I will improve over time. I can walk for about 10 minutes without stopping so I guess I should be able to sing. Does anyone else find that their heart condition effects singing or do I just need to practice more? I have pulmonary and tricuspid atresia.

Thanks,

Lizzy
hulmerist

Re: Singing

Postby elizabeth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi, Lizzy

I'm a bit out of practice at the moment but have done quite a lot of singing (in choirs).

A lot of it is practice - it's very different from walking, or physical exertion, what you need to learn to do is manage the outflow of air & use your diaphragm. So breathe in to the bottom of your lungs and let out only as much as you need to produce the sound. Also - learn how to grab a breath in the middle of a verse - with practice you can do this without it being that obvious, and it really helps.

At the margins, maybe your lung capacity is a bit reduced, but all the breathing techniques for singing should help you massively with the initial difficulties - and if you need to take a few more breaths than other people, you'll just get more practice at doing it. :D
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Return to Non-heart Related Topics