Swimming Costumes

We're all more than just our Heart Conditions, so if you want to discuss last nights TV, your favourite sport, or just the price of fish, this is the place.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Swimming Costumes

Postby Pat M Straughan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 am

I'm looking ahead a few weeks to when I can hopefully start swimming again after surgery. Are there any ladies out there who can recommend a source (online) for buying swimsuits with high necks which will cover my chest scar? There seem to be a few US sites but I'm in the UK.

I have a speedo suit but unfortunately it doesn't quite cover the top of the scar and doesn't offer much support. The post-surgery suits for mastectomy patients all look a little low cut.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Pat
Pat M Straughan

Postby susan manley » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:02 pm

I know everyone is different and I had my op many years ago. I started by wearing a high necked t shirt to cover mine but found that actually created more negative comments than when I wore a normal swimming costume.
It was many years ago now and the scar was big and red and would feel sore with the water so I used to put a protective layer of vaseline on it.
I am sure there are better things now.

My friends and aquantencies soon got used to the scar and strangers who stared were just told the facts
susan manley

Postby Pat M Straughan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

I know it will fade in time as I have seen some of the scars that men have. For the moment, I can't stand mine, though at my age, maybe I should be grateful if someone stares at my chest!
Pat M Straughan

Postby susan manley » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 pm

It can take a while and then you will forget to be self concious about it

Good luck with the swimming!!! I don't go now [due to other problems] and miss it.
A friend says she knows a private pool where I could go with just the 2 of us but I have lost my confidence in that area...You never know though, may take the plunge again one day!!!

Have fun!!
susan manley

Re: Swimming Costumes

Postby Jane2Blue » Sun May 05, 2013 1:57 am

I'm thankful that I I the luck position toa)be alive because of two open heart sugeries and a couple of major vascular surgeries
And
B) think that anyone judging anyone else on the basis of appearance and what they wear is not worth paying any attention to anyway ( can't think of anything acceptable and rude enough to say about them!) :lol:
Jane2Blue

Postby susan manley » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am

there is a fine line between inquisitiveness and rudeness. I never mind being asked about the scar etc and am proud to talk about my op if needed but staing and pointing is not on!!!
I also have the aweful 'big toe' thing and.as a 6o's girl' found this much more of an issue as feet are not always nice at the best of times and mine definitely are not!!
susan manley

Postby Jane2Blue » Sun May 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Just feel sorry for them because of their mental or educational deficiencies! They'll miss out on getting to know lots of very interesting and worthwhile people behaving like that !

Was very disturbed by another post on here taking a out people not being attracted to someone anymore once the other person saw the forum users body Ahhh all the good me. Are taken Or gay !

Being female and possibly old fashioned don't you get to know someone through shared interests /activities and having a similar view of life before it gets any further! I can be Attracted to someone for appearance but attitudinal differences soon put me off on the other hand if I'm not initially attracted I will get there if the have a personality I like don't understand all this appearance Stuff if someone objects to scaring their going to have a very very short relationship with me before I tell them to get lost!

Men!
Jane2Blue

Return to Non-heart Related Topics