INSOMNIA

We're all more than just our Heart Conditions, so if you want to discuss last nights TV, your favourite sport, or just the price of fish, this is the place.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

INSOMNIA

Postby rachiez » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 pm

I have a bad case of insomnia , any tips ????
when its time to get up in morning i want to sleep :(
am drained all day ....
rach x
rachiez

Postby susan manley » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am

Insomnia is aweful as it affects you all day and all night
I have always had a problem with sleep pattern [probably due to being nutty as fruit cake!!]
I have tried medication, excercise. eating/drinking plans and all sorts. Whether it is just my age or time for eat I seem to have found the answer for me

I do not drink or eat for about 2 hours before bed time and I get up when I wake up whatever time that is and I always have a rest time around 3 in afternoon [this stops me getting over tired] if i am at home I lie down if out I just find somewhere to sit quietly.
I now find I sleep for about 6-7 hours and usually get up no earlier than 6 am I do have the occassional blip and if this lasts for a week I may take one sleeping tablet to set me back into routine. It has helped me a lot.

Hope this gives you some ideas
susan manley

Postby tiggersam » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Hiya Rachiez,

I know from personal experience how annoying sleeping problems can be - I think one of the most important things is to try not to worry about it too much as this will only add to your anxiety and add to the sleeping difficulties.

Try to keep to a regular bedtime pattern and routine - avoid any unecessary stress (easier said then done at times) near to bedtime. Try to concentrate on relaxing activities prior to bedtime. Do not do anything that taxes your brain (eg puzzles) before bed.

Try to have a nice bath about an hour before bedtime and if you can a milky drink. Make sure your room is not too hot and stuffy and there are no drafts.

I have a radio that has a sleep function on it and sometimes time that for an hour before I sleep .

Again avoid stimulants - coffee, tea, coke, etc - before bed. However, having said that if you do wake up sometimes a weak coffee can help you go back to sleep again - which is surprising as coffee is supposed to keep you awake.

Try writing down any worries or concerns you have on a piece of paper prior to bedtime and leave it outside your bedroom door (this worked for a friend of mine).

Once in bed you could always try some gentle relaxation and breathing techniques to help you nod off - eg thinking of a relaxing and peaceful scene.

If this condition continues for more than a couple of weeks do chat to your GP about it. Personally I have not found sleeping tablets helpful. When I tried them a couple of years ago during a particularly bad episode of sleeping problems I found they left me groggy and almost feeling "hung over".

I wish you all the best and pleasant dreams,

Sam :)
Repair of VSD and pulomonary stenosis 1972 @ GOSH
RBBB and light leak from pulmonary valve
type two diabetic
Primary Ovarian Failure
oesteoarthritus - bone and joint problems - poss heart related
tiggersam

Postby susan manley » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:47 pm

with regard to the writing down of problems,when working with children this has worked well using a 'special' box which you put yor problems/worries into and I am sure the same positive results would work for adults....just writing them down helps in itself
susan manley

Postby vicki » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:37 pm

I experience insomnia when I am much stressed and it’s a complete pain as I want to sleep to forget my stresses.

Firstly as Sam mentioned avoid caffeine- when I’m feeling this way I avoid it from midday onwards. I can’t (or won’t) take sleeping tablets as all they do is make me feel groggy next day- as Sam said, like a hangover without the drink.

I tend to avoid even trying to go to sleep- if I try to sleep and can’t all that happens is I end up tossing and turning and being frustrated! I just read and the other thing I do is sudoku’s! I know you’re not supposed to do anything stimulating but for me it just seems to tire me out- or maybe it just bores me to sleep…

In the past I was a great fan of relaxation tapes (it was a long time ago!) however I still use the techniques I learned from them and from yoga classes and if you can focus your mind then that is good. Of course if you can relax easily then insomnia is probably not an issue.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Vicki
vicki

Return to Non-heart Related Topics