Hi guys :)

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Hi guys :)

Postby Danni-m » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Hey my name's Danni,

I turned 18 a few months ago and after my annual appointment at Southampton a few weeks ago, I realised I needed to reaccept my heart condition as an adult. I was born with a double in-let vetrical and at 13 months I had my first open heart surgery and then had the Fontan complete at 5 years old. I know noone with a heart condition so my liason nurses suggested this. So hi :D
Danni-m

Re: Hi guys :)

Postby Ellie1987 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Danni,

Hopefully you will find some people to connect with and talk to. I also had a Fontan when I was 12 (have pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum) and have yet to meet anybody with my condition. Hoping to change that when I got to the conference in October in Bristol as I now don't live in the NE of Scotland! I'm now 28 but still remember when I turned 18. I left home and went a bit wild having been restricted my entire life. Lots of going out and drinking etc completely ignoring my condition and stopping my warfarin for a couple years. I eventually calmed down and accepted responsibility after a couple of years and stern telling-offs from my cardiologist. It didn't help that I hadn't really had my condition explained to me through my childhood! It's great that you feel ready to take responsibility.
Pulmonary atresia with intact septum & hypoplastic RV
Fontan Repair
1987: left & right BT shunts
1993: bi directional Glenn
1999: modified fenestrated Fontan with Goretex graft from IVC to RA & Amplatz closure of fenestration
1999 to ?: on warfarin
Ellie1987

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum