Recent pacemaker surgery/leaky tricuspid valve

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Recent pacemaker surgery/leaky tricuspid valve

Postby Katie_miller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Hello, I am new to this site :) my names Katie and I am 16 years old (live in London)
Three weeks ago I had my pacemaker replaced (I have had it since I was 4) and I recently got a chest infection so I am worried that all my coughing will cause the new leads to move out of place.
Also I have been told that the leak in my tricuspid valve has gotten worse and will need ohs in the next few years, I am quite worried about this because all 5 of my surgeries have been minimally invasive and this will be my first ohs :( scary!!
Just want to speak to people who understand what I'm saying and don't state at me completely confused like my school friends hahaa
Katie_miller

Re: Recent pacemaker surgery/leaky tricuspid valve

Postby Mustard » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49 pm

you're at an interesting age, personally i see you as an adult. no **** you feel scared - i would too, and it's completely natural. you're after some support and like minded individuals.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1400157240219347/ wouldn't be a bad place to start..... :)

Also, contact the somerville foundation directly can be a very sensible approach, they have loads of guidance and advice available :)
Mustard

Postby Forlyd » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:20 am

Hello Katie,
Hope you will forgive old Lydia for poking my nose into the young people's forum ? Like you, I have a pacemaker (Dual lead implanted cardiovertor defibrillator ) and a leaky tricuspid valve (in fact a severely leaky tricuspid valve). The tricuspid valve is the one that stops blood from flowing back from the heart into the liver. In my younger days I had REAL MIND BLOWING ohs. I am still here !!! When your Doc says you will need ohs in a few years I think it's meant as no need to worry just yet. Yes OHS is a big deal but, nowadays it's really safe. The knowledge and equipment today is vastly improved from even when I had my last big op in 1975.
So Katie NO NEED TO PANIC !!! No matter what you do, tomorrow will always come. Live a happy life today and let tomorrow take care of it'self. Your operation will happen when your heart needs it. Don't spend all the waiting time getting yourself upset ! Take good care of yourself in the meantime YES ?
Love and hugs from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Postby elizabeth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

There's a Facebook group called "You're only cool... if you have a pacemaker"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209916610/?fref=ts

I don't have a pacemaker. :wink:
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Postby mtlaws92 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:04 am

Katie

My name is mitchell I am 21 yrs old and in 2012 had a PPM inserted and although this is seemed to be nothin compred to OHS in the grand scale of things I have also at younger ages undergone three OHSs and personally there is one thing different between the two surgery types I found was fyour actually awake during ppm insertion surgery now personally I found the fact of that made me a lot more scared then whe. I had OHS so if u can get thru that the with a lot of support and positive thinking both of which I am sure u have I am sure youll do an exceptional job thru your OHS whenever it shall come about.. if u ever wanna cht pls feel freee to pm me. Mitch :-)

PS: One thing I have learnt thru out my life of surgeries is thre is nothin anyone can say to stop your worrying this is natural the most you can do is find your way of coping with this... good luck and best wishes. Take good care :-)
mtlaws92

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum