disability allowance, university

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

disability allowance, university

Postby Katperkins » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Going to uni this September (hopefully) and was wondering if there is any point in getting or applying for the disability thing for a heart condition? Or if anyone successfully been granted it!

Kat
Pulmonary atresia
(don't have the right side of the heart)
Warfarin- one of the few home machine testers
Katperkins

Re: disability allowance, university

Postby juicy88 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Hey,

I would do it if i were you. You never know when you might need to call on them for financial / practical help. for example if you ever became ill (hopefully not)
I applied but I have a number of conditions which influenced their decision such as anxiety, depression, and dyslexia.

The worst that will happen is they will say you are not entitled to it.

Hope this helps

Lucy
***No Regrets***
juicy88

Postby lornaan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi, I tried applying for DSA and after speaking to the advisor for a bit she said I shouldn't bother - my symptoms aren't too bad, and I don't have any particular difficulty that affects my studies. However, I don't have as bad symptoms as other patients, I was only applying in case my surgery earlier this summer affected me this september (the way I'm recovering, it definitely won't). It's usually to pay for note takers for while you're at hospital appointments (or if you can't make lectures due to your condition), or equipment to help you in uni such as laptops or microphones (that's usually for dyslexia and autism, I think). Just things like that.

It's worth a try, but it depends on how much your condition affects your everyday life. They tend to only give it you if you really need it (which I didn't; I just wanted some free money and a notetaker when I was at appointments).
lornaan

Postby JUK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 pm

This is an interesting topic. I work in a university and sign post disabled students who require additional help during their studies.

I agree that applying would be better than not applying at all. You should speak to a Disability Advisor at your university and they can help you navigate all the bureaucracy of paperwork. They can help you to fill in the appropriate forms and discuss with you about applying to external funding bodies.

You may be sent for an assessment to identify whether you have a disability and what your difficulties are and this would be disclosed to your university disabled officer if they help you with your case. This is the time to be honest with the assessor and state to them all the your difficulties you have and it would be for the assessor to decide what adjustments will help with your input. If you have any medical evidence that would also be helpful.

If you do have a disability at university, there is a legal requirement for the university to make reasonable adjustments for you as a disabled person but they need to know that you have a disability first and so disclosure at the earliest stages may be helpful and be to your own advantage.
JUK

Postby Izzispice » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi Kat, i had to cut my studies short when i suddenly became ill and had to take a year out to have my open heart surgery. I went back to studying exactly 9 months post op which looking back is still early days. I was granted dsa purely because id had such a huge operation and i was also experience a lot of depression etc after the op still 9 months later. IF this is similar to you and you have had your op its definetly worth applying or if your condition effects you daily id say go for it.

izzi
Izzispice

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum