Any young people with ICDs?

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Any young people with ICDs?

Postby Jodie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

My names Jodie (I'm new at this!!)

I've had a heart condition since birth called Brugada Syndrome, however, I didn't know until I was around 16 years old when I went for a blood test at hospital to see. I inhereited this condition from my father and we only found out about Brugada Sydrome after my father had a heart attack.

I had a routine test in hospital in November 2010 called an Ajmaline test. The test didn't go to plan and I actually had a cardiac arrest and had to have CPR for around 30 minutes. After I came round the doctors told me I was high risk and had to have an ICD fitted.

I had the ICD fitted in December and the operation went well. Since I came out of hospital I had some rather odd feelings from my ICD. I had some palpatations and panic attacks.

It's been a real struggle dealing with both the cardiac arrest and having an ICD fitted and I just wanted to know if anybody else was in the same boat as me? Either having a cardiac arrest or having an ICD fitted? I would be really interested in find out about your story!!!

I hope to hear back from some people. It's been a really difficult time and I feel very lonely sometimes, like i'm the only one going through this!

Jodie
Jodie

ICD fitted

Postby David C. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello Jodie,
I just read your message and I found much of my story in it. It all happened a sunny spring day in the train station in Venice where, for no apparent reason, I had VT. Fortunately the ambulance came to pick me up but I went into cardiac arrest in A&E and I was cardioverted with an automatic external defibrillator. After about a week several drs told me the same thing. I was at high risk of having another VT and I needed an ICD. So I got one fitted. The operation was not pleasant but not too bad. That was a year ago. It took me a few months to get used to it (drs said not to stress my left arm for the first 6 months, not to swim and so on) but after that the situation improved and now I can do whatever I want. I went already 3 times for checkes (once every 6 months) and they all went perfectly with the ICD sleeping in my chest. Im quite skinny so I can see it when Im in front of a mirror but that does not bother me much. I now feel like having a safety gadget in my chest..if something happens and my heart goes funny it come up and prevent the situation from getting worst. I like cycling and If the same VT woudl have happened while cycling in an isolated road I would not be here now.
So dont worry, it takes sometime to get used to but you'll get used to it. Its a very effective in the prevention of VT&VF
David[/i]
David
Rastelli 1977 and 1983
David C.

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum