Pacemakers

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Pacemakers

Postby SRHumphreys » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Hello

I'm a nineteen year old art student, and I had a Pacemaker fitted on Thursday 11th February 2010.

I have a condition called Holt-Oram Syndrome, that affects my upper limbs and heart. I had an ASD hole in my heart repaired when I was two years old, and then up until last year I didn't really have any heart problems (except a leaky valve and slight heart murmur). In June 2009 I was diagnosed with having Atrial Flutter, I was on Warfarin for about 5 months, and had Catheter Ablation in August to repair the problem.

I started at Loughborough Uni. in September, and still didn't feel totally right, but I tried to just get on with Freshers Week (despite being on Warfarin, which meant I couldn't drink!) But my symptoms, such as dizziness, tiredness, breathlessness etc just kept getting persistently worse, which is why a Pacemaker was recommended.

Does anyone else here have a Pacemaker? So far my heart feels amazing, so much better than it did before! But I can still feel the device inside my chest, and I was wondering whether this feeling goes off once your body adapts to having a Pacemaker, or you just get used to it?

Sallie
SRHumphreys

Postby GeorgiaGee » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 pm

hey sally!
I'm 18, had my pacemaker in when I was 15. I had been ill for so long so any after affects seemed minimal but to settle you a bit, i felt odd for a good 4 or 5 months afterwards. Still went back and forth for a year with palpitations and dizziness that shouldn't really have been happening. However, it all settled down for some reason. I reckon it's just the body getting used to having a weird device telling it how to pump!!

To answer your question: sometimes i notice my pacemaker. Like, if my dog is on the back of the sofa and steps over me to get off i always place my palm over my pacemaker because it just makes me squirm if she steps on that area lol. Also, if I go for a jog I have to wear a really supportive bra because sometimes it can feel bizarre lol. Urm, that's about it really, apart from if you lean on something with your chest like if you are leaning out of a window for example and it's over your pacemaker it can make you feel a bit weird. But all these things aren't painful just a 'gammy' sort of feeling is how i describe it! It's just me being oversensitive probably, but geting a pacemaker changed my life so who cares :) x
*Pulmonary Atresia (Replaced: 1996,2004 & 2005)
*3 VSD's, 1 large residual.
*ACA
*Cmplte <3 Block
*Pacemaker (2007)
*lung arteries narrowed (Stents fitted: 1992 & 1993 )
*Digoxin 125mg daily
GeorgiaGee

pacemakers

Postby Forlyd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Hello Sallie,
This is Lydia poking her old beak into the youngster's forum. I do this now and again to see if any of the younger Guch's can gain some knowledge from my 61 year battle with heart problems.
I had a pacemaker fitted in 2004, well an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator ( ICD ).
Even now, six years later I still have dizzy spells, especially first thing in morning when I go to get out of bed. I have to sit on the edge of the bed until the dizziness goes away. Don't forget we may have different reasons for having a pacemaker installed ! Mine was to improve heart function and stave off heart failure. The ICD made a marked difference to my blood circulation. So, the change from lying flat to sitting up means I have to wait until the blood flow evens up!
As Georgia Gee has said, the pacemaker may be a bit of a pain to get used to, but it is saving your life. Do your best to forget it is there, and just enjoy your life as best you possibly can.
Take great care of yourself Sallie,
Love from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Postby Skaliakbar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi, i have a pacemaker since i was 17 months old although i am not teen anymore i didnot even know this website existed when i was teen... i am 24 had 4 replacements so far going for my 5th one in April... its intresting i never felt my pacemaker everyone asked me this question... i guess as i have it since i was a baby i didnot even notice it.. even now i cant feel it... strange... i used to be fine before but now have dizzyness and breathlessness and palpitations after they had to change my leads ....
Kulsoom
Skaliakbar

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum