Thick white phlegm

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Thick white phlegm

Postby samj » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi

Sorry I know this isn't related to the heart as such but I have a question.

Has anyone coughed up thick white blood tinged phlegm (which resembles chewing gum). Thomas has been doing this for a while now and sometimes it gets stuck and finds it hard to breathe. The GP has been pretty useless!!

Many thanks
Sam (Thomas' mum)
Mum to Thomas (16 yrs), TGA, VSD, ASD,SEVERE SUB PULMONARY STENOSIS. Left BT shunt 2 months, balloon septostomy, blade septostomy, right BT shunt 21 months, Rastelli 4 1/2 yrs, Purcutaneous Pulmonary Valve Replacement 15yrs & Isabelle HH & Austin 1yr HH
samj

Postby matt_hooks » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 am

This is NOT a medical opinion, but if I was coughing up blood I would want to get it checked out as soon as possible. If your GP is not being any good then either take him to casualty or get in touch with his cardiologist.

It might be something innocent, but blood in bodily excretions is not often a good sign.

I hope you get some answers from the medics. Remember that if you're not happy with your doctor you're within your rights to ask for a second, third, fourth, even fifth opinion. I certainy wish I had done so when endocarditus was making a meal of my aortic valve!

So don't panic, but definitely push a few people to get something done about it!
matt_hooks

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum