Self harm

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Self harm

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:48 am

Hi, i was wondering how many young ish people have or do self harm. it probably seems really stupid to some people because we already have things wrong so why would we want more?? Personly i have and still do ocasionally when everything seems to be going wrong.

Just wondering if it was just me and wether other people who do do it, do you feel guilty like the day after? because i dont unless one of my friends notices but thats only becasue they are very closed minded and dont understand the need for it under any cercumstances.

Lisa

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:49 am

Hey Lisa!
Yeah, i used to self-harm when i was at secondary school.I'm almost 20 now and haven't self-harmed for over 5 years now! There are times that i really want to, but i usually get by just by punching a pillow or something if i'm really annoyed at anything. I told one of my closest friends about what i used to do last year. She was a bit funny about it at first, but has come around to the idea now. I think it was just a bit of a shock to her thats all. I'm not ashamed to say that i used to self-harm, i think its made me a much stronger person in the end. Hope you're ok! Take care! Hev :-) x

Hi Lisa and xHx,
Hope you don't mind a non- teenager butting in.
I don't want to sound like an old woman here, but your posts really worry me.
Self harming is a horrible thing, and although I've never felt I needed to do it myself, I can understand why some people do need to.
It could have really serious consequences however, especially if it got infected.
I am a youth worker, and part of my job involves meeting young people , up to the age of 25, who have requested Counselling from the youth service.
Quite a few of them self harm, and our counsellors work with them to help them feel like they don't need to do it any more.
Counselling could make you feel better, about the issues that are causing you to self harm.
Maybe it's something you could consider.
HelenB

Hi Lisa,

Hope it's ok for me to reply to you on the teenage forum since I'm nearly 28 but I really wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have been self-harming since I was about 16. I hid it for years because I was so ashamed and even when people guessed I denied it and couldn't bring myself to talk about it.
I gradually stopped self-harming as I found it just wasn't working for me any more. The last time I self-harmed was about 7 months ago, although I do still get the urges when I feel terrible.

Counselling never really worked for me - in fact, I'd say it confused me more. People can't understand if they're not in your situation and usually no amount of explaining helps. I know of an email support group that I did find helpful though. And there are several organisations solely dedicated to helping self-harmers and/or their families. If you'd like me to send you more info you can email me at xxearthdragonxx@hotmail.com. Feel free to add me to your MSN Messenger list too if you ever want to talk.

Please, please don't feel guilty or ashamed of what you do. Self-harming is a coping mechanism, is not neccarsarily related to suicide and is often the only way some people can cope with day to day living.

Stay safe
Emma

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:50 am

Hi Lisa and xHx,
I have never actually self harmed but I have come very close to it. I sat in my bedroom at home with a shaving razor but didn't actually have the guts to go through with it (I thought I might not stop bleeding as I'm on warfarin). I can totally understand why people would want to - or feel that they have to do it. Instead I just sat on the floor and cried for ages. I find that alot of people don't understand and don't really want to make time to understand which can make you feel even worse. It sounds as if you have some really good friends to confide in though.
I definatly wouldn't feel ashamed or guilty, its just a way of letting go of all the frustration that builds up inside.
As Helen says there is counselling and hypnotherapy also is a very good thing to try, it really helped me with my panic attacks.

Hope this helps in some way,
Sue

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:50 am

Hi all,

I've never but so very nearly self-harmed. I had a freind who was a real bad self-harmer also when i was in secondary school i'm 20 now. she came so close to death many times and it scared everyone around her. she didn't think counselling worked neither, but it did in ways she didnt see until after. It may not seem like now but self-harming is a compulsive thing and is a cry for help, for attention. you may not feel like going and seeing a counsellor but you do need to open up to someone, maybe even someone you don't know even. but they do say a problem shared is a problem halved. i was scared of how i felt and was scared of burdening people with how i felt, thinking they would think i was daft for feeling like i did. i suppose only people who have been through it would understand.

I was wandering whether school/college has an effect or your upbringing added to your heart condition. i'm not prying but just suggesting ways in which this could have come about. i'm studying psychology and do understand this now more than ever and although i don't know you i would love to talk to you if you wanted to talk?

Good luck but don't let this go too far. my fiend has many scars and irreversible internal problems due to overdosing. its not nice and she regrets it now.

Jenna

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:51 am

hey ppl
i have also 'self harmed' when i was 13 for about a yr and im just 16 now. like lisa i only felt guilty when my friends noticed it, but that never stopped me. however looking at the scars now i am ashamed. they remind me of a dark place i dnt want 2 go back 2, but it tk me a yr 2 realise that. i dont no if i regret doing it, because it has kinda made me stronger, but i hate the scars. emma, counselling never worked 4 me either. i've hd some pretty dodgey experiences with them! i have had so many and still have 3!! but i have given up so i just tell them what they want 2 hear!
i think i am depressed, well thats what they tell me! but im learning to deal with it. life is a slap in the face but i just gotta get on with it!
sorri 2 go on..... any way the point is i no how ya feel, i dnt no y it helped but it did, but i have now found other ways 2 cope which u dnt even wanna no about!! he he. anyways, i hope that anyone who self harms will look at the scars and see what i do, a dark and lonely place which you can get out of!

mel

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:51 am

hiya,

I used to self harm upto about 18 months ago when I got so depressed I took an overdose. I know now that it was all the stress of coping with every day life (or rather not coping) and harming myself was my way of dealing with that stress.

As for my scars everytime I see them now I use it as a reminder that I will do everything NOT to go back to being that depressed. I think I've just learnt to accept that life can be pretty naf sometimes but I have to make it happy regardless of what's happening.

Thankfully with the help of family and doctor I'm back on my feet now. At the time I also felt that counselling didn't help but it has with hind-sight. To be honest the best help was a depression management group which was very pro-active and made me challenge the way I was thinking about things.

Rach

Postby Melissa » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:44 am

I dont self harm because I already have enough scars for people to look at.
Melissa

Postby Pockles » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:11 pm

Hiya!!

I hope you don't mind a 25 year old butting in.

I didn't self harm with razors blades or anything but I did stop eating when I was 16.

It was shortly after I was put on medication and told I could may never have children and my friends brother who had a heart condition died too.

I really gave myself a hard time. Started smoking and drinking heavily, flunked out of school. Basically I was a mess. However I am 25 years old and I managed to get over it. I discovered that what was making me feel **** were things I couldn't change and I could spend my life fighting with myself and constantly be in a loosing battle. I found an outlet. I started writing poetry. Everything I couldn't say out loud I wrote down and kept in book.

It took me a long time to come back from my dark place. I have a wonderful boyfriend who makes me feel beautiful no matter how many scars I have. I went to college and got a degree with honours and I feel a lot beter in myself. Gave up smoking and only drink occassionally.

you are still very young and one you may realise that life is too short to torture yourself over things you cant change.

I hope you are ok. Please becareful with your body as you don't want more complications than what you have already got.

If you need to talk, just email me or send a private message. My email is on my profile.

Take Care of yourself. Please!!!

ANN :lol:
Pockles

Location: Sauchie - 12 miles outside Stirling, Central Scotland.

Postby Juicy_Lucy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:14 pm

i have self harmed and even considered ending life once but i wen things start getting better i think how silly i was even considering it. I have now decided wot i want from life and am going to live my life until i pass. I will die wen i am meant to not wen i choose 2. If life gets difficult again i will take up another hobby, maybe boxing, that should release my inner anger. Maybe you should try it.
Aortic Stenosis
Had Aortic Autograft and Pulmonary Homograft July 04

XxXxXxX You Are Only Free In Your Dreams XxXxXxX
Juicy_Lucy

Postby Livi » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:29 am

I used to self harm, about a year ago as well.
Im fifteen now, and though at the time it seemed to help I look at the scars now and it kinda scares me! I used to talk to one of my really close friends about it, because she was self harming as well.
I don't think self harm is all that rare, I know of a lot of people just in my year at school that have or are self-harming, and I'm sure that most of the teachers know as well, but there's never any support for them! I took one of my friends to the school cousillor when I found out she was self harming (shortly after I stopped for good) and held her hand while explained it to the counsillor, and she was promised that the cousillor would set up another meeting, but we never heard from her.
But you aren't alone at all

Good luck, Livi xxx
Livi

Postby Juicy_Lucy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 pm

apparently 1 in 10 teenagers do it, im actually going to see my doctor about it later 2day. i'm real nervous. (i didn't stop after my last post.)
Aortic Stenosis
Had Aortic Autograft and Pulmonary Homograft July 04

XxXxXxX You Are Only Free In Your Dreams XxXxXxX
Juicy_Lucy

Postby nicola-jane » Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 am

hiya im new on here, ive been self harmin for bout 8 months now and im still doing it, its realli upsettin my family and my boyfriend but it helps me to get my anger out. i also have anorexia aswel, im avin councelling now, its realli upsettin when you no ur upsettin people around you but its hard to stop, i hope my councelling will help me get through my problems, look after yourself and try and get over your problems,

nicola xxx
Complex cyanotic congenital heart disease with congenitally corrected transposition of pulmonary stenosis.
Small morphological left ventricle.
previous classical glenn with SVC to RPA anastomosis (1996) followed by mitral valve replacement(1999)
nicola-jane

re self harm

Postby Hen » Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Can i just first say i am not a teenager i am 21 little bit old to be posting comments here but what i saw really annoyed me

I cant understand why anybody would self harm are our bodys not fighting enough battles without causing them more hardship

if you are causing scars to your body and sometime down the road you need a operation the procedue is going to be more complicated
if your surgeons need to open you on that part of your body as the scar tissue You have created will complicate it

so for your own sake and that of your family please get help or talk to somone

before you do major unrepairable damage
Hen

Next

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum