Sports at School

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Sports at School

Postby debware87 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi All, I am the mum of a teenage TGAer, also had VSD as a baby had a balloon sept at 3 weeks and arterial switch and VSD and ASD repair and 6.5 weeks old., He is now 13.5 years and is in september due to start uppper school,, now all his educational life he has had educational support due to mild/moderate learning difficulties,, but my concern now is the sports, I have been informed by the teacher thae he really struggles doesn't have the physical ability to do sports and his cordination interferes, but if you could see him he is so muscular he looks like he runs all the time,,

Now I was wondering if many of you have had many excercise tollerance tests, as I am not sure if Charlie is pulling the wool over the teachers eyes as he can swim for 30 mins in his lessons no problem except for this odd bark type cough which he says he does all the time at school when he is out of breath..

I know sports in an upper school is going to be far more tense than in middle school and he may not get away with being in goal for the next 3 - 4 years..

not sure what to do?

what do you lads and lasses do for sports at school many thanks
Debbie
Love Debbie
Mum to Charlie 14 years old TGA with VSD corrected at 6.5 weeks of age.at GOSH, also mum to Josh soon to be 3 years and healthy
debware87

Postby lbloomer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:05 am

hiya,

wen i was at school (im now 22) my mum went in and spoke to the teachers at the start of each school year and explained explicitly to the pe teachers whats going on what mum thought i could do and not to push me and single me out, but to left me do what i can.

so basically i would talk to your child abt it see what they think and then go and talk to the teachers about it too and make sure they understand what is happening and that he isnt jsut slacking off!!

hope it helps,

Love Lisa, xx.
lbloomer

Postby Hj285 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Hiya,

I have a large VSD, pulmonary atresia along with leaking mitral and aortic valves. Up until secondary school (I'm 23 now) no restrictions were placed on me in regards to sports. However when I got to secondary school I was told as the activities can be more strenuous and that I shouldn't participate. My mum explained this to the school and said it would apply to every year of secondary school. When I mentioned to a teacher that watching was pretty boring they started letting me umpire tennis, netball, help with dance coreography, time laps when they did running and measure distance after people had done the triple jump.

So If your son can't participate directly there may be other things that he can do. It's worth having a chat with the PE teachers there to see what they can do. It could just be a case of letting him participate and sitting out when he needs to. Good luck.

Hayley x
PA, VSD, dilated aortic root, aortic and mitral regurgitation, PH.
1985: Waterston shunt
27/05/2011: ICD implanted
AF x5 all cardioverted
Hj285

Postby blonde_saint » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:47 am

When I was at high school my parents spoke to my PE teachers and explained about my heart condition and how I knew my own limits as to what I could and couldn't do.
I used to join in with Netball, Tennis, Hockey, Badminton, Trampolining, and didn't do athletics as it was to much for me. When I didn't join in becuase I was having a bad day then I'd help out in another way which wasnt so exhausting for me.
Deb x
Now a very happily married Mrs Rigby!
blonde_saint

Postby elizabeth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi, Debbie

I've never had an exercise test & am much older than your son. :)

When I was at school (years ago!) I tried to be in goal or play at the back. Mostly managed it... and just stopped when I was out of breath. I was rubbish at PE and very glad when I didn't have to do it any more.
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Postby christine.rogers1986 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:07 pm

I am 23 now and have always struggled with PE.
At secondary school the teachers to begin with continually asked me for a note to explain why I wasn't able to participate! They didn't seem to get it that I didn't purposefully adopt my breathlessness!
I found swimming quite hard at school mainly because I never learnt to swim properly and got cold easily, but was OK playing netball indoors or other more mild indoor sports. The only ones I was properly kept out of were athletics, and hockey as they seemed to be my weaknesses. I basically tried everything once under watchful eye of PE teacher and if I felt too exhausted after I told them. If they got funny (the odd one did) I told my mum and she just phoned and re-inforced the importance of my health!

To your original question, I have had one set of exercise tolerance tests at my hospital a few years back but found them to be bit misleading., For example they tested me on a cycling bike gradually making the tension harder - this showed I could keep going for quite a while, when in fact if they'd made me get up and walk about i'd have lasted a very short time as I find that much harder to do! So they concluded I wasn't as bad as I sometimes feel!

I wish your son the best - he'll find a happy medium and hopefully tell you if he's struggling too much in a paticular area. He may just have to pick and choose what he can and can't do.

Hope that helped! Good luck to him!

Christine x
christine.rogers1986

Postby samj » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Debbie

Thomas has had an exercise tolerance test. It showed his level to be half what a normal level is. He is already at secondary school and to be honest he gets on better there than at middle school. I explained to the head of year that Thomas shouldn't be pushed and about his tolerance test etc. The teacher lets him self limit. He also has a card which he can show to the teacher if he doesn't feel up to it and can go and sit in the TLC room, no questions asked.

He normally participates in pe whatever! I leave it up to him.

Take care

Sam x
Mum to Thomas (16 yrs), TGA, VSD, ASD,SEVERE SUB PULMONARY STENOSIS. Left BT shunt 2 months, balloon septostomy, blade septostomy, right BT shunt 21 months, Rastelli 4 1/2 yrs, Purcutaneous Pulmonary Valve Replacement 15yrs & Isabelle HH & Austin 1yr HH
samj

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum