Young People, that have been in Manchester Royal Infirmary ?

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Young People, that have been in Manchester Royal Infirmary ?

Postby mcfc4ever » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi There,

I am new to this website, My Name is Antony and i recently spent about a month in Manchester Royal Infirmary on Ward 6.

I have been on there before and my experience was very postive, but very boring due to no tv or anything like that, i have had a heart problem all my life and was in pendalbury alot when i was younger.

As Anybody else been a in-patient in the Manchester Royal Infirmary and how was your experience?
mcfc4ever

Postby mrs noddy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:53 pm

I had a catheter in the MRI last month and yes i found it boring, i was only in over night but that was bad enough iv got to have two further operations in the next few months and i will be staying in for a good few weeks.

Iv had my heart condition from birth too but i used to go to Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool then when i turned 18 i was referred to Broadgreen also in Liverpool but now i go to the MRI.

I'm 23 now and still going strong but i feel like giving up sometimes.
mrs noddy

Postby mcfc4ever » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Dont Give Up,

I Felt like that when i went in hospital for a month because i had to have 2 operations to have a defibrillator (ICD) put in because i was getting really high heart rates 180 per min.

I had the First operation but when they went into my heart they found that the leads they use to put the defibrillator to your heart werent long enough because my heart is enlarged. I losted blood as well during it so after that a few times i did feel like checking myself out, and then my blood wasnt right took over a week (developed so sort of allergy to heperin (blood medication) so had to get that right am on warfin you see, so that had to be low for me to have the operation.

I had the second operation and went as well as expected. i also have a condition called pulmonary artresia since birth i also have
2 leaking valves.

I have been home about a week, Bit Nervous now because of what happened, but getting there slowly. I am 20 (male) and from Manchester.

What Condition Do you have?
mcfc4ever

Postby mrs noddy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:34 pm

I understand what you mean about geting your blood levels right before they will operate I'm on warfarin and its murder trying to get my INR level right before and after an operation.

Iv got a lot of things wrong with my heart they are:
Pulmonary stenosis
Tricuspid artresia (Tricuspid valve missing)
Ventricular septal defect (Lower right ventricle absent)
Atrial septal defect
Dilated right atrium
Hypoplastic right heart syndrome
Transposition of the great arteries to the heart

Like you i was born with a fast heart rate and had to have my 1st pacemaker put in when i was 12 years old which lasted 5 years, to control them but in science whilst i was working with electromagnets my heart rate drop really low so i had my 2nd pacemaker fitted to control that and it worked for 7 years then the battery needed replacing. So I'm on my 3rd pacemaker in 11 years.

But i still get a fast heart rate every now and then, when that happens i have to go in hospital for the doctors to slow it down most of the time they have to put me to sleep and shock me because it is the only way off bringing my heart rate down.

I'm waiting for two operations one called an Ablation operation to control my heart when it goes fast and the second called TCPC to help my heart cope better with the strain of my body which will hopefully give me a better quality of life.

So like you i have been through a hell of a lot and I'm only 23 years old.

I'm from the wirral near Liverpool.
mrs noddy

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum