Getting A Tattoo

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Getting A Tattoo

Postby Lord Of Shadows » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Hi, I am new here and this is my first topic.

I am 17 years old and I have decided to get a tattoo on my left ar,, above the elbow. It is the japanese symbol for fire with a red outline, need to go onto antibiotics before getting it done.

Has anybody here ever got a tattoo before and can they give me any tips about the medication or what it feels like to get the tattoo done?

Thank you for helping me =]
We Are The Hate Crew! We Will Stand And Will Not Fall!
Lord Of Shadows

Postby del smith » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:06 am

Hi mate, im nor really a teenager but ive had tattoos, got 3 an getting more in the next few months.
As for how it feels, the outline does hurt, but its a bearable pain, the filling in doesnt really hurt, but once you have had one, you will get more belive me!!!!
You can see my one in my avatar, the others are a tribal peice on my other arm/shoulder, and i have some chinese below the picture you see.

But remember to get some pile cream & savalon for after, the savalon takes away the itching, and the pile cream helps the skin repair :D
Check my site for future bookings please.

TGA 78 (Senning)
Nothing else an still going strong!!
del smith

Postby Hj285 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:38 pm

My personal advise would be to not get a tattoo, it isn't worth the risk to your health. Not only that it's illegal for you to get a tattoo when your under 18.
PA, VSD, dilated aortic root, aortic and mitral regurgitation, PH.
1985: Waterston shunt
27/05/2011: ICD implanted
AF x5 all cardioverted
Hj285

Postby Marie 5 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 am

I would also like to say that i think it would be best not to get a tattoo. While it might seem 'big' and like it will get you respect etc, what happens when youre older and it just looks weird! Apart from that, you have already been given a second chance on life, and while i live life to the full, i wouldnt want to waste it on something cosmetic.

If you feel youll be much happier with the tattoo than without it then go ahead and do what makes you happy, but just maybe have another think about how important a japanese fire symbol really is to you!

Hope whatever you decide, it goes well
xxxx
Fallots Tetralogy
1st op at 10mnths - correction
2nd op at 12yrs - pulmonary valve replacement
& more to come!
Marie 5

Postby Guitarist_Adam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:24 am

Hey man,im on warfarin and ive had a tattoo done and im getting another next week,ill be honest,it does hurt but totally worth it when its done cause once youve got one youll want another aha!so id say go for it but i will say if you do get one just really for the first 2/3 days make sure its fine,any sign of infection or anything go to hospital right away.i got mine at the end of last year and there has been nothing wrong with it heres a pic of it.....its of my fave band ever....

P.S. Saw your myspace,amazing band choices,children of bodom ftw \m/
Guitarist_Adam

Postby sophstar007 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:20 am

You're on Warfarin and have a tattoo??? :O

I've been told that I can't....and I'm not willing to take the risk.

I suggest that anyone who wants a tattoo needs to speak with their consultant first. I did try to get a piercing and spoke to my consultant but I couldn't find a save place to have it done i.e. nowhere that was sterile enough. Like I said...I'm not gonna take the risk

But good luck!! :D
Mitral Valve Atresia
* Absent Left AV Connection, Straddling/Over-Riding Tricuspid Valve, Large Ventricular Septal Defect, VA Concordance
* VSD Total Cavo-Pulmonary Connection with LPA Reconstruction / Fontan / Small Right to Left Shunt (1993)
sophstar007

Postby Michelle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:55 am

Hi

Not quite a teen (35 :roll: ) but I have two tattoos.

I'd wanted one for quite a long time but assumed that I shouldn't because of the risk of infection and because I'm a chicken!

Plucked up the courage to ask my consultant and he said that it was fine, as long as I went to a place that was clean and above board. He didn't think I needed A/B cover either. So I went ahead and had my first one done, it hurt a bit but other than that I had no problems with it at all and as soon as I'd had it done I wanted another (they're very addictive).

I had my second one done whilst on holiday in Canada, again made sure everything was clean and sterile, had no problems at all with it.

However, I was recently transferred to a GUCH consultant at MRI and he was horrified to see I'd had tattoos done and told me not to have anymore, and if I insisted on having more then I had to have A/B cover (he was shocked my first consultant hadn't prescribed them).

So, if you really, really want to have some done then I'd suggest that you take some time to chat with your consultant and see what the outcome is. I wouldn't have had mine done had my consultant not given me the go ahead to do it. I love them but it's not worth risking your life over.

Take care

Michelle x
Michelle

Postby Miss LCT » Sun May 11, 2008 3:30 pm

I think that some people on this thread are being absolutely ridiculous and inconsiderate. Every one with any kind of heart complaint are advised to not have piercings/tattoos. Even going to the dentist for a check up presents a risk. I don't know how anybody can advise someone to have a tattoo knowing they have a heart condition. I think iy is very unresponsible. I know infections can be rare but an infection of this kind to somebody with a heart condition can be fatal! Why can't people just accept what they are told by people who have spent a long time training to be a doctor.!!!!
Miss LCT

Postby vicki » Sun May 11, 2008 4:10 pm

There are lots of things in life which I wish I could tell people (particularly my teenagers!) not to do. Unfortunately life isn’t like that.

The great thing about this board is people can come on here and ask the questions and get honest answers which they can then think about and weigh up the risks involved and make a considered, well thought out decision, which will hopefully keep them safe.

We are all experts on our own lives and only we can make the decision whether the risk of doing something e.g. having tattoos or piercings is worth the possible consequences if something goes wrong.

Take care and be safe!

Vicki
vicki

Postby del smith » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 am

Miss LCT wrote:I think that some people on this thread are being absolutely ridiculous and inconsiderate.

No, i dont think it is, someone was asking a question, and people answered, including people that have had tattoo's and peircings.
They wanted information, which other people have given.

Miss LCT wrote:Every one with any kind of heart complaint are advised to not have piercings/tattoos. Even going to the dentist for a check up presents a risk.

Yes we all know that, and have always been told that, but is it not up to us to take the risk, or do something that we would like to do.
Have you never taken a risk in doing something that you want to do?

Miss LCT wrote: I don't know how anybody can advise someone to have a tattoo knowing they have a heart condition. I think iy is very unresponsible.

No as i have said before, someone asked a question and people such as my self who have had tattoo's and peircings replied back, as long s you do it safely and with your consultants knowledge and take all reasonable precutions, then it should be no problem.

Miss LCT wrote:I know infections can be rare but an infection of this kind to somebody with a heart condition can be fatal!

Ill agree with you there, but taking a risk is what its all about.
You take a risk waking up every morning and going to work, you risk your life every day, so doing something as small as having an earring or tattoo, is not so big a risk, i know and so do most others that getting an infection can be fatal, i would not say to someone to have one done without thinking very hard about it, and making sure that the place they are going to have it done is clean and has the right certificates.

Miss LCT wrote:Why can't people just accept what they are told by people who have spent a long time training to be a doctor.!!!!

Not trying to be funny here but have never done anything against the "rules", we all have,we all as i have said before take risks, and if a person wants to to something, then all we can do is advise, when your were young, and told "NO" did you not then go and try it??

Sorry, rant over.

If you would like to reply to this, please do by pm. 8)
Check my site for future bookings please.

TGA 78 (Senning)
Nothing else an still going strong!!
del smith

Postby Livi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:27 pm

I have fallots tetralogy and I have been wanting a tattoo for a couple of years. Now I am 18, I recently went to talk to my doctor about getting a tattoo, and, having been prescribed antibiotics, I am going ahead with it next week. I would just like to say it is incredibly inconsiderate for people to come on this thread and condem anyone with a heart condition who has a tattoo. grow up and start thinking about other peoples feelings. I want to get a tattoo for my own personal reasons not to "get respect" or "look big" (this may be a teen thread, but even we dont talk like that, come on). I have taken all necessary precautions and have talked this through with my parents and doctors. Dont condem us because we are teens, I think we all know that kind of writing would not be seen in an adult message board. We may just suprise you and be more resonsible than you think. Good luck to those who want a tattoo, and those who dont, respect our own persnal decisions.
Livi

Postby pinklittlekimmie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:34 pm

Hey,

Is it just me or does anyone find it bizarre that we are told we cant have our ears pierced/tatoo's without riskin IE (and if we do have either we get doped up on antibiotics) but we can have fillings and tooth extractions with nothing even though u r much more likely to get IE from them! Lol! Anyway if u want a tattoo and its bin ok'd by the hospital then go for it i wish i cud have one! Lol!

Kim x
Live life to the full!
TGA, VSD (too close 2 tricuspid 2 b sorted), Double Outlet Right Ventricle, Pulmonary Stenosis and Complete heart block!
Glenn shunt in 1993
Coils via cardiac catheterisation in 1998
TCPC and dual chamber pacemaker in Jan 2008
pinklittlekimmie

Postby elizabeth » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Kim

pinklittlekimmie wrote:Is it just me or does anyone find it bizarre that we are told we cant have our ears pierced/tatoo's without riskin IE (and if we do have either we get doped up on antibiotics) but we can have fillings and tooth extractions with nothing even though u r much more likely to get IE from them!

I thought it was the other way round: that the risk from tattoos and piercings can be higher than that from dental work (depending where they are!), but have to admit that's just an impression or vague memory :oops:. Do you happen to remember where you picked up your information about the relative risks? [she asks in nerdy scientist mode 8)]

The NICE guidance on [no] antibiotics for dental work doesn't apply to tattoos and piercings because they aren't medical procedures, so NICE considers that it is not its place to comment. As a result it's down to the clinical judgment of your cardiologist whether you need them - and if you're considering either tattoo or piercing you should check this first. :P
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Tattoos and Safety

Postby ClaireStevens » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:31 pm

I work for GUCH PA and have just written something for GUCH News (our free newsletter) on endocarditis so have some info you may be interested in:

Tattoos and body piercings carry a risk of developing endocarditis as the skin is broken allowing bacteria to get in and equipment may not be sterile. Cardiologists usually advise against piercings or tattoos if you have valvular heart disease, congenital heart disease, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. If you do decide to get a tattoo and/or piercing speak to your cardiologist and:
• Check that the place you are having it done is registered with The Healthcare Commission (an independent body, set up to promote and drive improvement in the quality of healthcare and public health) - helpline 0845 601 3012 www.healthcarecommission.org.uk
• Check that your tattooist wears a new pair of latex gloves for each client
• Make sure the tattooist uses an autoclave (a surgical sterlizer)
• Check that the needle is opened in front of you
• Keep your tattoo or piercing area clean and wipe with a sterile saline solution, a non-iodized salt and water mixture, or an antimicrobial soap.
• Check that the jewellery is made of non-nickel metal and has been sterilised immediately before insertion.

Everyone has a different pain threshold but generally the less fat there is in an area the more you will feel it, so feet, necks, ankles, genitalia are usually the most painful. It also depends on the size and detail of your tattoo - with some designs the tattooist has to keep going over the same area.

My personal advice is think very carefully before getting anyone's name on your body, tattoos last and relationships don't as I found out!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

claire stevens claire@guch.org.uk
ClaireStevens

Some advice

Postby PyrO_PrOfessOr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:17 am

Hey. First of all, Hi! This is my first post here! Found it while googling tattoo's! Never new such a place existed.
Secondly Im typing the dark, so it might be a bit pants.

I had Endocarditis 4 years ago (when i was 16) and as a result I now have an artificial Aortic Valve...also due to the extremity of the case I had a coronary patch, a pacemaker implanted and I'm now on warfain (INR of 3-4).

I have to get 2 ingrown toenails removed. As i result i will be on heavy A/B cover and my INR will be pretty low. I really want a tattoo, and there are a lot of mixed opinions here. Its something i have wanted for a long time but never thought it was possible...I agree that there is a risk, but I feel that the risk of getting an infection from a cut, or indeed the toenails is greater!

So with me having the low INR and the A/B cover I think i should go for it but does anyone have any advice?

Sorry for reviving a dead thread but seemed really relevant. Cheers

Stan

P.S I'm 20, but i still count myself as a teenager lol
Cannot find REALITY.SYS! Universe Halted!!
PyrO_PrOfessOr

Next

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum