What is it like in an adult ward?

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

What is it like in an adult ward?

Postby Groovydudette » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:28 pm

I was just wondering, got another year to go before i get shoved in the adult ward Is it like super-fun happy fun smiley people? Or drab and awful where the sun doesn't shine? Because they try to make the child's ward all colourfull but is it the same in the other ward? Give me a bell, ta
tarah xx
Cardiomyopathy and Bradycardia
pneumonia
pacemakers: 1994, 2000, 2006
and look i'm still smiling =>
Groovydudette

Postby Leah Claire » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:31 pm

well the 1st time i got admitted on adult ward was scary cause my ward was shut due 2 infection, so i was put on coranry care where was very drabby but the care was good and the nurses were friendly.

they said on a normal ward i wuld b put seprate 2 the older ppl in like a cubical thingy type but atm i just dunno cause my ward is now coranry care.
L.Smith

Aug 1989 - Fallots - BT Shunt
Aug 1992 - Fallots - Full Corection
Feb/March 2006 & May 2007 - Atrial Flutter, Abnormal Rhythm (Cardioverted)
Pulmonary valve replacement - 23rd November 2007 - Successful!
Leah Claire

Postby Paul Polo Willgoss » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:19 am

Hi,

If you're worried you can ask your cardiac liaison nurse to get you shown around the clinic and the ward just so you know where it is and what it looks like.

Sometimes it helps!

Paul
Paul Polo Willgoss

Postby m.hough » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 am

if u cant deal with crying babies 24 /7 then the adult ward is bliss... iv never had n e bad experiences in wards so far, just annoying babies, some of them adult wards have satellite t.v. helps pass time, u know, the card tv things. ur also aloud to go and do ur own thing, walk about etc., if u can... its all good to be honest.
m.hough

Postby Leah Claire » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:20 am

when i was on the adult ward i didnt have a tv unfortunely and i wernt allowed to go and do my own thing. but ahh well lol.
L.Smith

Aug 1989 - Fallots - BT Shunt
Aug 1992 - Fallots - Full Corection
Feb/March 2006 & May 2007 - Atrial Flutter, Abnormal Rhythm (Cardioverted)
Pulmonary valve replacement - 23rd November 2007 - Successful!
Leah Claire

Postby blonde_saint » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:09 pm

when I was still at the children's hospital before I moved to adult one I spoke to staff about being worried and it was sorted that I got to look around the clinic and ward before I got transfered to them and I feel it helped me alot so if you speak to the staff something may be sorted for you
Deb x
blonde_saint

hi

Postby samantha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:15 pm

its not bad i moved to the adults side in feb 08 they treated me like an adlult but they also keep a very good eye on me and i really like seeing all of the nurses because they all make me laugh

samantha
samantha

Postby Hj285 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 am

Adult wards aren't too bad. I was a little scared on an adult ward for the first time but I was ok. Best thing about it is you are treated like and adult. I remember being on the kids ward at 17 (I'm 23 now) and the school teacher tried to give me some work and I had to explain I was doing A levels and there was no way I was doing school work for kids of 14-16 cos I'd already done it. At least on the adult ward you can read a book or do puzzles, lol.

Hayley x
PA, VSD, dilated aortic root, aortic and mitral regurgitation, PH.
1985: Waterston shunt
27/05/2011: ICD implanted
AF x5 all cardioverted
Hj285

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum