fallots & med school?

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

fallots & med school?

Postby Marie 5 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:47 pm

:) Hi, i have fallots and wondered how many other people are out there with it?
I would really like to study medicine and become a doctor and was wondering if there are any guchs with experience of that and how the workload may affect you etc?
My consultant said it should be alright and unis cant discriminate but im still slightly worried i wont be able to cope with the hours?
Oh and im due my next op right in the middle of the 5 years - aged 22-27
p.s. any tips on work experience/shadowing in hospitals - most say you cant do it!
Fallots Tetralogy
1st op at 10mnths - correction
2nd op at 12yrs - pulmonary valve replacement
& more to come!
Marie 5

Fallots

Postby Leah Claire » Tue May 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Hi, i'm new to guch, just been transfured over to the adults.
I was reading a few topics and came across yours. I have fallots to, had a shunt at 3 weeks and full correction at 3 years. Last yeah i have had 2 episodes of fast heart rate, abnormal rhythum and atrial flutter. Had a letter today (29th May 2007) off me doc saying my condition is now serious and need the pulmonary valve replacement, knew i was going to have it sooner or later but last year they said not for a few years yet. Could you help me on how long ur in for? how long does it take to recover? Slightly nervous now and i aint even been given a date yet. Thanks.
L.Smith

Aug 1989 - Fallots - BT Shunt
Aug 1992 - Fallots - Full Corection
Feb/March 2006 & May 2007 - Atrial Flutter, Abnormal Rhythm (Cardioverted)
Pulmonary valve replacement - 23rd November 2007 - Successful!
Leah Claire

Postby DianerJ » Wed May 30, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Leah Claire. My son had a pulmonary valve replacement 2 and a half years ago, then aged 8. He was in intensive care for one day following his op, on the ward for 6 days, then back home. Back to school part-ime 6 weeks later, full-time 8 weeks later.
Hope all goes well.
Very best wishes, Diane.
Mum to Edward now 11, born with TOF. Ops Oct 1995 & Oct 2004. He has moderate pulmonary regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, a dilated right ventricle.
DianerJ

Postby Leah Claire » Wed May 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Hey thanks for that much help,

I was told id be in for about a month haha, 3 days killed me 2 weeks ago, love being there but it's so boring.
L.Smith

Aug 1989 - Fallots - BT Shunt
Aug 1992 - Fallots - Full Corection
Feb/March 2006 & May 2007 - Atrial Flutter, Abnormal Rhythm (Cardioverted)
Pulmonary valve replacement - 23rd November 2007 - Successful!
Leah Claire

Postby Marie 5 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi leah, sorry i havent replied sooner - completely forgot about the site! ive been so busy
hope everything went alright and youre feeling much better :-)
xxxx
Fallots Tetralogy
& more to come!
Marie 5

Postby Becca » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi Marie,

Just saw this, I'm currently in my 5th yr of 6 yrs of being a medical student, although I don't have TOF. The workload is very variable on the university you go to, the one I go to is particularly hardcore & now I'm in the latter stages there's a lot to do. You can't be discriminated against jusr because you have a heat condition, one of my friends doing medicine has had a heart & lung transplant as she has CF but cope fine.

If you want to know anymore just let me know. Work experience is very important for UCAS form.

Becca
Becca

Postby Marie 5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi, thanks becca
i did apply this year and im still waiting to see whether ive got a place at Kings (was rejected from the other 3!)
what med school are you at?
Fallots Tetralogy
& more to come!
Marie 5

Postby Becca » Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Marie,

Sorry for really late reply. I go to Imperial (for my sins, lol) & hopefully if I pass if year which is really long I'll be qualified in just over 1 yrs time.

How'd it go with Kings?

Becca
Becca

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum