TGA?

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Postby PeteN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi,

I was 26 last Saturday and I had a Sennings operation to correct my TGA. The only thing I couldn't do at school was cross country running, I loved sport from an early age and have always participated in it as much as I can. I started playing tennis when I was 8 years old and am still doing so, I currently captain one of the teams at my tennis club. I also play football regularly and enjoy getting plenty of exercise. I think the key is to always stop when u have to. I went to uni when I was 18 and my first job involved me moving to Spain for 6 months.
Every heart condition is different just as every person is different I guess one thing I have learnt is that a heart condition isn't what makes a person themselves, they do that.
Sorry that was a bit of a waffle! Lol

Pete
Life's what you make of it!
PeteN

Postby jules007 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:18 am

Hi, I am also a TGA, but I had one of the very first op's of it's kind way back in the dark ages.
I did not do sport at school as they had no idea how I would fair.
I did go on however to be a normal teenager with all the normal angst and hate for the world.
I did all the things you are told not to do, heavy drinking, drugs and those awful fair rides.
I went on to have three children two of which are Twins. :shock:
Oliver 10, Freya and kerenza 7.
I am now the ripe old age of 43. :D
I am now for the first time in many years feeling the affects of my heart condition. :(
jules007

Postby Andrea » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 am

Hiyaa

Im andrea and Im 16 and was born with TGA. I had the aertial switch op when i was 6 days old. It's not affected me too much but it just means theres little things i can't do. Such as i can't have any piercings or tattoos. I can't go on some rollercoasters. Sometimes i do get out of breath slightly but i usually just sit out. I have to see the cardiologist every 6 months - 1 year. I also have a leaking valve and arteries are narrower. I'm not to sure what this would mean in the future :/ but so far all is good :)

hope this helps

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrea

Previous

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum