not a teenager yet, but needing support

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

not a teenager yet, but needing support

Postby Diane J » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:00 pm

My son, now ten, is experiencing many new issues as a result of his chd, as he gets older. His main problem at the moment is anxiety and panic attacks. I know officailly he's not a teenager yet, but he has to face issues that many older guch's struggle with. Is there anyone near his age who would be willing to offer any advice? Ta, Diane. x
Diane Jones. Mum to Edward age 16, born with TOF and Carys age 13. Ed has had two lots OHS. Currently awaiting an MRI scan to establish how soon his pulmonary valve will need replacing again.
Diane J

Postby Jennie. » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi Diane,

Sorry to hear about your son's panic attacks, I had (sometimes still have) panic attacks for 7 years. They completely took over my life and it was a real struggle to overcome them.
You can definatly overcome them without the help of medication (don't go down that route, it just covers up the problem instead of solving it). I saw various doctors and Physiatrists’ and they seemed to dance round the problem and ask you what you are panicking about. That's no good because if you knew what the problem was you wouldn't be silently worrying about it.
There is a great charity called NO PANIC, they have a website (can't remember what the address is but type it into google).
In the end I went to see a hypnotherapist who was brilliant and once we established what the underlying problem was I found I was a lot more relaxed and can now control them. She taught me to have an "anchor" eg when I felt a panic attack coming on I would clench my left hand into a fist and when I was under hypnosis she said that doing this takes me (or gets ou to think about) a place where you feel safe and relaxed. It may sound crazy but it really does work.
I am not near his age, I am 26 but had the panic attacks from when I was 14 to when I was 21 when I finally managed to control them.
I tried all the routes (apart from the drug one) and the one I found worked the best was the hypnosis. She asked me questions that I didn't know the answers to which turned out to be the questions that I needed the answers to.
It was all down to when I was born and the operations and things I couldn't remember about that started it all off.
Panic attacks can happen years after an event.

Jennie
if you want to get in touch my email is: jennie_ticker@email.com :D
Jennie.

Postby Diane J » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks so much Jennie. Ed has just started seeing a clinical psych, so hoping that will help. I will check out the website too. Thanks for replying. x
Diane Jones. Mum to Edward age 16, born with TOF and Carys age 13. Ed has had two lots OHS. Currently awaiting an MRI scan to establish how soon his pulmonary valve will need replacing again.
Diane J

Hi

Postby Becky123 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:55 am

Hi
i am 18 but have known since i was 5 that i had chd, i used to be very skinny and pale and offten had panic attacks.
But it wasnt until i was about 12 that i really understood what was wrong with me, i always used to get panic attacks at school and go to the medical room, with chest pains and being convinced i was having a heart attack go home, my parents feel it was pshycological, and once i had my operation at 13 and started feeling healthier, the panic attacks stopped, i still worry now if i feel somthing funny, but knowing all the facts help.

Your son is still young and propbably doesnt completely understand whats wrong, but im sure with time he will find it easier to handle and the panic attacks will stop or at least become less often.

i hope this has helped.
becky
Becky123

Postby DianerJ » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks becky. :) Ed had 6 sessions with the clinical psych who then discharged him as she felt he had faced many of the issues that were causing his anxiety. He occasionally gets anxious but nothing like he did before thank fully. We are able to contact them again if he does get to the point where he needs support again. At the moment he gets quite cross about his chd, as he's realising the limitaions he has because of it! I am sure this is something you can also relate to as well!
Thanks again, best wishes to you, diane. x
Mum to Edward now 11, born with TOF. Ops Oct 1995 & Oct 2004. He has moderate pulmonary regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, a dilated right ventricle.
DianerJ

Anxious child

Postby Lisa Thomas » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Diane

My name is Lisa. I have a son called Dylan, he is 9yrs old and has Truncus Arteriosous Type II and vsd.

He is now starting to ask questions about his scar and heart problem. Both pulmonary conduit and aortic valves are leaking resulting in more surgery at some point.

It is like walking on egg shells at home as Dylan can change his mood just like a lightswitch. He has now been referred to a Psychotherapist to hopefully talk about his worries as he will not open up to us at home. We are hoping that Dylan will find somebody on one of the heart websites to email who can talk to him about day to day life.

Regards

Lisa Thomas
Lisa Thomas

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum