co-archtation of the aorta

A forum exclusively for 13-19 year olds to connect and share experiences. Always let people know where you are going and don't give out personal information online.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

co-archtation of the aorta

Postby gosnold » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:59 pm

Are there any other teens out there with this condition ?
Co-archtation of the Aorta
Parachute Mitral Valve
Mitral Valve Regurgitation
Aortic Stenosis
Aortic Stent
gosnold

Postby blonde_saint » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:10 pm

Yeh I've got the same
lv deb xxx
blonde_saint

Postby gosnold » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:13 pm

its nice to meet someone else with the same. have you had much done for it

Abbie
Parachute Mitral Valve
Aortic Stenosis
Aortic Stent
gosnold

Postby gosnold » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:14 pm

its nice to meet someone else with the same. have you had much done for it

Abbie
Parachute Mitral Valve
Aortic Stenosis
Aortic Stent
gosnold

Postby blonde_saint » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:02 pm

I've had 2 ops on my heart but only 1 for that wot about u?
blonde_saint

Postby braveheart » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Abbie

I'm no longer a teenager, but have Complex Coarctation of Aorta and others defects. Wasn't diagnosed with CoA until the age of 16. Was very difficult to 'come to terms' with. First two ops on CoA were at age 17, then further problems required extensive surgery at the Brompton in 1999. That was my last op. Also had a aortic valve replacement 2 months earlier.

Now I have regular 6 monthly checkups and am on some medications: atenolol, lisinopril, dypridimole, warfarin, atorvastatin.

Hope 2006 is a good year for you.

Jon

p.s. I'm 38 now 8)
braveheart

Postby gosnold » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Woah sounds like you've been though alot. i was diagnosed COA when i was a baby and im lucky in the sense ive grown up with it.
I've also got a parachute mitral valve altho had no ops on that. I've had one major heart op but i cant remember that because i was 9 months old.
I currently not on any medication however im have a 24h bp monitor this week to see if i need any. Cross fingers for not !!!
I'm also having a stent put in later on in the year which at first was a shock but now im not gonna worry because im in good hands.
has anyone else had a stent ?
Parachute Mitral Valve
Aortic Stenosis
Aortic Stent
gosnold

Postby geckogirl1612 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:30 pm

I have Coarctation.
I was born with it but have had numrou operations to correct it.
Coarctation of the Aorta.
Patch aortoplasty.
Balloon angioplasty
stenting
geckogirl1612

Postby elliottw » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I have CoA and was operated on at 9 days old. I'm 21 one now and it's the only surgery I've had so far which is good. I had a sub-clavian flap repair so I have no pulse in my left arm. Anyone else have that procedure?

Also do any of you suffer with hypertension as a consequence of the CoA?
elliottw

Postby Oliclarke » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with COA when I was 16 after a gym induction when they took my BP and found it was 196/117. I had a stent put in at the brompton and then widened 6 months later. Unfortunately the patch they use on the femoral artery got stuck in the artery which caused a few problems. I still have high BP so I'm on a few drugs to control that. I can't remember being too worried about it at the time for some reason, but I just try to stay fit and healthy and not let it worry me.

Oli (22)
Oliclarke

Stent operation

Postby Nath676 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 pm

I am glad that I am able to chat to people who understand about having heart problems. I had a co archtation of the aorta when I was a baby and have been followed up by a cardiologist since. When I attended my appointment in October my cardiologist told me that I would need to go onto medication as my blood pressure has always been high and could lead to problems, so I am currently on Perindopril, with a view to having a stent put in in the near future. I was wondering am I best to stay on the Perindopril and prolong the inevitable or just go for the operation to put a stent in? has anyone had a stent put in? and what advice would you give me at this stage? any information would be a bonus as my head is still stuck in 50/50 situation between carrying on with pills and surgery, please get in touch.

Thanks,

Nath
Nath676

co-archtation of aorta

Postby Forlyd » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Hello Nathen,
Old Lydia looking in on the youngsters here.
You are really in a fairly good position as far as your post makes out. You are being asked to take Perindopril to prevent your heart racing away the moment you put any demand on it !!!
I have been taking perindopril for many years ( at least six years ). This has the effect of holding my heart in a fairly stable state so as to make surgery LESS neccessary until some time in the future. Time for you to worry when your surgeon starts to panic. Right now they are not too concerned are they ?
My advice ? Take your medicine and get on with making your life as happy as you possibly can.
Take good care of yourself,
love from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Postby libbyv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Hiya i have the same problem, im 20 and was diagnosed last year im on the waiting list for a baloon and stent to be put in, if anyone would like to talk and become friends feel free to pm me, i would love to talk :)
libbyv

Postby gosnold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey
This is a very old post of my as I'm 24 now !!! Again if anyone has any questions give me a shout :D
Parachute Mitral Valve
Aortic Stenosis
Aortic Stent
gosnold

Return to Teenage GUCHs Forum