giving birth with Coarctation of aorta

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

giving birth with Coarctation of aorta

Postby dood » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone on this message board is or has been in a similar situation. My partner and I are wanting to start a family. I have coarctation of the aorta and a bicuspid valve, I had the aorta repaired when I was a baby and am otherwise a healthy and fit 32 yr old.

I feel strongly about having my baby with the least amount of medical intervention possible, I want a home birth but the cardiologist has told me that I wouldn't be able to find a midwife willing to assist a cardiac case, which I can understand. The cardiologist said the birth would have to be more medicalised, with pain management, and that generally women with my condition were only allowed to spend 1 hour in second-stage labour before forceps or vacuum were used. All of this is exactly how I do not want the birth of my baby to go, and, if I knew there was a strong possibility that this would happen, may determine whether or not I have a baby.

I would be very grateful if anyone could share their experience of a similar situation.

Many thanks for reading
Holly
dood

Return to General Discussion Group