advice following aortic valve replacement

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

advice following aortic valve replacement

Postby Papalazarou » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi all,

I had my aortic valve replaced in July at Glenfield Hospital, it was just over 4 months ago, and I now have the mechanical valve, which means I am on warfarin for life. To be honest, the warfarin hasn't really affected me too much, and most of the time I can forget I am on it.

Anyway, I am nearly 39, but I am finding that I don't seem to be able to get a level of fitness I am happy with. Now, I am probably just being impatient as it has only been 4 months, but I understood after 3 months most things should be getting back to normal. I can walk quite a distance, but I am finding when it comes to running, I am panting very quickly. I just don't seem to be able to push myself. Again, I probably just need to be patient, but I wanted to get the communities opinion. Also, if anyone had a similar experience to me following your surgery, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Jamie.
'Loves a gift that's surely hand-made!' Guy Clark (LA Freeway lyric)
Papalazarou

Re: advice following aortic valve replacement

Postby Tricky Dicky » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi Jamie,

Everybody's different but it took me nearly a year to regain my pre operation fitness. It also took me a long time to get used to the click-click, thump-thump noise from the valve.

Make sure to look after your teeth and take antibiotics when you go to the dentisits, there is an increased risk of endocarditis with a mechanical valve.

Cheers,

TD
Tricky Dicky

Postby NikCus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:15 am

Hi All

My Husband is due to have his aortic valve replaced on August 16th this year at Barts and we would like to speak to someone who is on warfarin and who has a mechanical valve for a first hand experience. My husband is not too happy with the need to taking warfarin for the rest of his life and also with the ticking noise - any of your opinions will help

Thanks and best to all
Nikita
NikCus

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi Nikita,

As with Papalazarou, the warfarin hasn't really affected me too much, and most of the time I can forget I am on it. Bloodtests are typically at 2 month intervals, a quick finger pin prick at the doctors, job done. I still go mountain biking and cycling with the family, haven't noticed any bruising and my life has carried on pretty much as before. Your husband may need to alter his eating and drinking habits to keep his blood levels steady, but it's not too much of a problem. If he plays rugby or similar contact sports he may have to change a few things. Depends on his current lifestyle to an extent.

The ticking isn't too loud and you do get used to it, it sounds a bit like the popping noise from popping candy. My wife can hear it when I'm asleep and she actually finds it quite soothing.

You might get more replies from the Somerville facebook page.

Personally I'd rather have the warfarin and the ticking noise than have to go through open heart surgery at regular intervals as the tissue valves wear out and need replacing.

TD
Tricky Dicky

Return to General Discussion Group