A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Postby clairelou1588 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 pm

Hey all
I am a new member to Somerville.
I have coarctation of the aorta, was noticed when I was young and have had surgery twice, been living my life as normal with a yearly check up, however this year I have been put on blood pressure tablets as it was too high, and this is the first time reality has hit of how serious this is.
Can anyone else relate to this? I try talking with friends and family but none of them really understand.

Many Thanks Claire
clairelou1588

Re: New Member

Postby Tricky Dicky » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Claire, welcome to the board. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve, had surgery aged 13 and then carried on fairly normally with yearly check-ups. To some extent I ignored the issue as for me, this was the easiest way to deal with it. As my health deteriorated I had to face up to it though, which was a bit of a shock. However, I have now had a mechanical valve fitted and am recovering well.

If you are on facebook there is a somerville foundation facebook page and if you can get to the conference in Bristol there will be lots of GUCH people to chat with.

TD
Tricky Dicky

Return to General Discussion Group