Anyone with a pacemaker?

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Anyone with a pacemaker?

Postby Millymoo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I am 34 and a mum of two little ones. A fortnight ago, I had a Micra wireless pacemaker fitted. I would like to get in touch with anyone else who has had either this type of pacemaker or any other type to discuss life with one. Feeling a bit weird about all the internal sensations! Emily
Millymoo

Re: Anyone with a pacemaker?

Postby judith » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Good luck with your new pacemaker. I have had one fitted for 36 years now and about to get my 5th one. Once you get used to it just under your skin you won't think anything more of it! It has caused me no problems whatsoever in all the years I have had one. Take care.
judith

Postby Charleylaura » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:17 am

I had one 7 years ago. Mines a dual chamber so has 2 wires at the top both going into two separate chambers of my heart. I really didn't want it fitted, I was 17 and just about to start 'living life', but now I know if I hadn't of had it fitted I maybe wouldn't be here or be able to do half the things I do today. You do get use to it and there are some days where they are annoying but Ive felt its made me better heart health wise. Hope yours gives you a new lease of life :D
Charleylaura

Postby sean » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:31 am

I'm on to my second dual chamber pacemaker, mine is tucked just below my lower left ribs so don't really think about it, great way to by pass the metal detectors at customs :)
Ebstiens Anomaly .
Cardioversion
Tricuspid Valve Replacement
Modified left and right atrial maze procedure
Dual chamber Pacemaker
sean

Postby acoton » Mon May 08, 2017 9:40 am

Hi all,

I've had my pacemaker since 2002...I think! First got it done at the Heart Hospital in London due to heart block (I have TGA), had the battery replaced a few years ago, now in Christchurch NZ. Was definitely a strange sensation when first in. I am used to it now, although still feel it when my daughter accidentally climbs onto my chest!! (it's under the muscle there on the left-ouch!). You'll get used to it. It's part of you now and doing what it's supposed to do. Good luck :D
acoton

Return to General Discussion Group