Internal Bleeding while on Warfarin

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Internal Bleeding while on Warfarin

Postby glassheart » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:42 am

Hi everyone, just a question for anyone who is on Warfarin, specially those with mechanical heart valve, do you have internal bleeding? I mean just randomly you start to bleed internally and it won't stop until you are very unwell and end up in hospital? This has happened to me 4 times during the past 6 years, I've never heard anyone else having had that problem, so I was wondering If any of you had this happen to you? Thank you. xxx
Congenital Aortic Stenosis and Mitral Regurgitation Aortic valve replacement 1986
AVR and Mitral Valve Repair 1995
Stent Implantation 1995
Mitral Valve Replacement 2000
glassheart

Re: Internal Bleeding while on Warfarin

Postby Tricky Dicky » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:36 am

Only been on warfarin for 6 months and thankfully not had any internal bleeding..
Tricky Dicky

Postby Forlyd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:39 pm

Hello,
Have been on warfarin for many years. This year spent two terms in A&E because of bleeding from various orifices. This was due to a bad loss of appetite and subsequent lowering of vitamin K in body. The body cannot make vitamin K if you are not eating enough food. In this case the warfarin (INR) level goes sky high. My INR should have been between 2-0 and 3-0. At the time of admission to A&E it was 10-9. So, if you have been off your food lately it is possible that Vitamin K loss is the answer to your problem.
Hope you get it fixed.
Love from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Postby judith » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi, I have been on Warfarin for 39 years and until last year there have been no problems. 12 months ago I was diagnosed with severe anaemia and since then I have been back and forth to various clinics. I am currently awaiting a capsule endoscopy as no one will take a chance on dong a normal one. Although I have no pain or obvious signs it is thought that I have a slow internal bleed. I'll be glad when things are confirmed! Good luck.
judith

Return to General Discussion Group