Pregnancy

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Pregnancy

Postby kate1987 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Me and my husband are thinking about trying for a baby. At the moment I feel scared about the pregnancy (thought of) I had repair of VSD and av septal defect when I was very little. I still have a leaking mitral valve. I don't really have any issues with my health and manage a part time job as a nurse. But I'm aware of the potential risks of having a baby. I am 27 yrs old and aware that risks increase as I get older.
Also what are the potential chances of our baby being born with CHD
Anyway I wondered if had any tips or experiences they wish to share with me.

Kate x
Repair of a VSD and AV septal defect. (6 months old) Leaking mitral valve
kate1987

Re: Pregnancy

Postby Lau » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Kate,
I'm afraid i can't give you advice from experience but there is quite a long thread on here about pregnancy that might start to give you some answers. I would also suggest you speak to your cardiologist about it too.

Good luck
x
Lau

Re: Pregnancy

Postby Bookmouse » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Yes, definitely speak to your cardiologist! I had VSD repair plus other things and had a child last year (when I was 36). My daughter is fine - no CHD - but it did have an impact on my health and I'm now taking medication (which I wasn't on before), but everyone is different. I think, in general, the younger you are when you have children the better but you really should speak to your cardiologist.
TGA, VSD, Pulmonary Stenosis. Corrected with Rastelli Operation in 1981 and again in March 2008. Pacemaker implanted August 2009.
Bookmouse

Return to General Discussion Group