Endocarditis

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Endocarditis

Postby lisap » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Havent posted anything for a while and most certainly didn't envisage i would ever be posting about endocarditis but unfortunately this infection found me just before christmas and knocked me off my feet. However, three weeks in hospital being pumped full of antibiotics has been successful in that I am now at home having the remainder of my daily antibiotics via IV at my local hospital. All being well, i hope to be given the all clear on 7th February.

So how did this nasty infection get me - i just don't know. I have always been careful regarding dental work and procedures etc and nothing like that has happened but 7 weeks prior to christmas I began to feel unwell. It's just a virus I thought but as the weeks went on and I felt progressively worse I went to my GP. I am so grateful that he knows me well enough to suspect Endocarditis immediately although we joked that I really didn't have time to spend weeks in hospital and I really wanted my christmas dinner (just two days after my appt) but he was having none of it. Off I went to have echo etc at my local hospital who, at the end of the day, said I probably had a bad cold but they'd ring me if and when anything developed in my blood cultures. Coincidently I got much worse and as I arrived in A&E in boxing day, the microbiologist team were about to ring me to tell me to come in. I was transferred to Bristol Heart Institute just a couple of days later where I was looked after so well with daily visits from the GUCH team, I knew I was in good hands. The rest as they say is history. I consider myself so very lucky that I've had the right treatment early enough that I haven't needed surgery.

The echo and TOE showed my replacement aortic valve is now only working with two leaflets and my heart is inflamed however, no intervention needed at this stage.

Not quite the christmas or start to the new year I planned but now able to look forward with a smile :-)
Lisa P

Angios, TOE's, MRI's & CT's
AV replacement surgery & aortic root enlargement 28th March 08
AV replacement (mechnical), aortic root enlargement and conoventricular septoplasty 26 Feb 2015
Endocarditis Winter 2014
Bristol GUCH patient
lisap

Re: Endocarditis

Postby dexterb09 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello

Sorry to hear about your endocarditis spell, I've had this illness to, what I thought was a chest infection indeed turned out to be endo.

I'm glad all is sorted and your clear of endo, i was to treated at bristol they were fantastic the guch team were fab, I've been there since birth and wouldn't go any where else. They did my valve replacement and saved my life I'm die to go back and have a pacemaker fitted soon.

Best wishes
Lee
dexterb09

Postby lisap » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Lee

I am currently Bristol, have been sinice 11th Feb. 3 days after iv antibiotics finished it was found my valve was severely narrowed so i was re-admitted urgently. They are now sure endo is gone. Having surgery this Thurs. Mechanical valve this time. Bristol are amazing & I'm glad to be under their care. Good luck with pacemaker.

Lisa
Lisa P

AV replacement (mechnical), aortic root enlargement and conoventricular septoplasty 26 Feb 2015
Endocarditis Winter 2014
Bristol GUCH patient
lisap

Postby dexterb09 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Lisa

Good luck with the surgery hope all goes and wish you a speedy recovery.

All the best
Lee
dexterb09

Postby Tricky Dicky » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 am

Good luck with the surgery Lisa, I had a mechanical aortic valve fitted a few months ago at Bristol, you'll be in good hands :D
Tricky Dicky

Postby lisap » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you. The nerves are creeping in already, too much time to think in here ....
Lisa P

Endocarditis Winter 2014
Bristol GUCH patient
lisap

Postby lisap » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm

2 1/2 weeks post op and I'm making good recovery. Home after 5 days from surgery and although still trying to get used to my new mechanical valve things are okay. Biggest issue with me, as was last OHS, is getting my emotional/mental health strong as I find the emotions of getting prepared for, through, and recovery of surgery quite traumatic. However, have done it before and I'll do it again :)
Lisa P

Endocarditis Winter 2014
Bristol GUCH patient
lisap

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 am

Glad to hear that you're back home Lisa, keep smiling :D
Tricky Dicky

Postby Forlyd » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Hello Lisa,
Pleased to hear you are doing OK. Boxing day must have been a strange day. On boxing day I fell and badly broke my good arm ( my left one is paralysed from a stroke ) so have spent the last three months totally reliant on hubby. Seems we both got the help we needed. Hope you keep improving. Love from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Return to General Discussion Group