A weighty issue

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

A weighty issue

Postby Sandra164 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Can anyone advise me on losing weight. I've done the slimming groups but I can't keep the weight off. I see me cardiologist in March and I'm worried she'll be annoyed if I haven't lost. Have you had successful weight loss? Please help.
Sandra164

Re: A weighty issue

Postby nurseylou29 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi Sandra,

Reading your post struck a chord with me as I have been in a very similar position. Every year I used to dread my weigh in, but not once did my consultant ever comment on my weight even though I knew I was overweight - I think I would have lost weight sooner if he had.
However, after one appointment, and a particularly inspiring conversation with a GUCH nurse, it suddenly dawned on me that a smaller body mass would result in my heart not having to work as hard to get my blood around my body. It wasn't even really about being a smaller dress size (although that is a massive bonus!!).
I signed up with Weight Watchers that very week, and have now lost 3 & 1/2 stone - and despite a few wobbles along the way, have managed to remain at my goal weight for 3 years. I'm not saying it was always really easy, but It was certainly easier that I thought it would be.
My advice is to give it another go, but don't necessarily look at it as a diet whereby you deprive yourself - see it as a way of making your heart work less hard, and a way to change your eating habits for life. No food is forbidden on weight watchers - I ate a weight watchers choc bar and packet of crisps every day!
Most importantly, believe in yourself and know that only you have the power to do anything about your weight, absolutely nobody else can do it for you.
Good luck xxxxx
nurseylou29

Re: A weighty issue

Postby Mustard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 am

The traditional slimming groups are ok for the mainstream audience, however, for the chd arena - a lot of these diets are not sensible. Weight management is important, of course - but it has to be sustainable.

Have a look at what i've been up to... http://www.intelligenteating.org/praise
Mustard

Return to General Discussion Group