medical retirement

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

medical retirement

Postby dexterb09 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi all

Im a 36 year old who was born with CCTGA ive never had any major problems until I hit my 30's, i have had endocarditis and open heart surgery to replace my tricuspid valve. Lately with work being so physical im struggling with day to day stuff now, im finding myself so physically tired and really fatigued, im always finding myself puffed out and wanting to go to bed early, i cant even walk a flight a steps without getting puffed out playing with the kids is hard as i cant manage more than 5 mins. Work is way too hard for me now i just cant cope with the work load anymore. My consultants have always said that my condition will slow me down and never get better so i guess that its started to happen and im slowing down and finding anything physical hard going. Im going to see my consultant tomorrow and want to talk to them about maybe being medically retired. Ive spoken to some people with the same condition as me and they've been through the same as im going through with feeling the effects in there 30's and theyve been medically retired as well. Does anyone on the on here have cctga going through the same and been medically retired or any heart condition that has ended in medical retirement.

Any info/input would be grateful.
dexterb09

Re: medical retirement

Postby aghorner » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi,

I'm not medically retired but about three years ago I reduced my working hours from 5 days a week to 4 days a week. Although my employer did it to save money, I was struggling with full time, and find the reduced hours much better from a health point of view and am more productive when I am at work. I don't work Fridays so I have three days to rest before I restart work again. I don't know what size of company you work for, but is there any other job within the same company that you could do which would be less physical?

The Somerville Foundation can help with employment legal advice if you want to find out where you stand legally, contact the helpline on 0800 854759 for more details.

Yours - Antony
Tetralogy of Fallot with Absent Right Pulmonary Artery
Significant Pulmonary Regurgitation with Right Ventricular Dilation
Atrial Flutter

Webmaster for the Somerville Foundation

When requesting technical support please include your username!
aghorner
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion Group