Moving abroad

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, Moderator3

Moving abroad

Postby Hanky's girl » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:01 pm


I am new to this, I have Tetralogy of fallots, pulmonary atresia and VSD - corrective surgery 1992 ... i am 39 and in really remarkable shape, in fact fitter now than I have ever been. I have the opportunity to move from London where I have been cared for by the Brompton hospital all my life to Canada and although i am excited I am a little freaked out? Does anyone have experience of transferring from one GUCH centre to a different one across the pond? what about medications? How will that transition work?
If anyone has any experience or any advise please let me know.

Hanky's girl
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Re: Moving abroad

Postby ollybenson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:14 pm


I don't have specific experience of moving abroad, but generally you can ask your GP to create a summary of your notes to take with you. They'll usually charge a fee for this. Your GP generally will keep your full notes for 10 years once you leave. You can probavbly ask your hospital for the same service although your GP should have a copy of most of the critical things, again they may charge for this.

If you haven't, make sure you have adequate medical cover for your condition. Canada has a decent public health system, although it is provided by private providers (who are paid for by the state). Just as the UK, you'll need to register with a GP, and they should be able to provide you a prescription for your medication (although as I understand it you may have to pay full cost for this; although there are exceptions).

Remember too that if you move abroad you forefeit your right to treatement under the NHS if you come back to the UK for short periods etc. So remember to get adequate health insurance if you are returning to visit etc. Obviously if you return as a permanent resident then you will once again be able to get health care.

Have fun in Canada, was there for a visit earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. Whereabouts are you moving too?


Born Transposition of the Aorta VSD / PS (1977)
GOSH: Shunt (1978) / Rastelli procedure (1982) and replacement conduit (1995)
Heart Hospital: ICD fitted (2005).
User avatar
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Warwickshire, UK

Re: Moving abroad

Postby Hanky's girl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks Olly

lots to think about!
Hanky's girl
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Return to General Discussion Group

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests