Starting a new business as a GUCH

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Starting a new business as a GUCH

Postby ipkenny100 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any experience of starting a business? I am a GUCH and other than the usual checks have never experienced any problems to date since my op at a young age.

Was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I am currently finalising my plans and am about to apply to banks etc for funding with my new business and am worried about how my condition might affect my chances of securing the backing I need.

Any help welcome!

Thanks

Iain
ipkenny100

Re: Starting a new business as a GUCH

Postby elizabeth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi Iain

There certainly are people who have CHD and their own businesses, some very successful.

What is your particular concern? Is it about insurance? I don't know much about the criteria for business lending but a good and convincing business plan is going to be more important than might-bes far in the future.
What's your field? Should we look out for your ads?
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Postby ipkenny100 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm looking at starting a brewery "North Union Brewing Co" in Sheffield in the next few months. I am just seeing if it has affected anyone for securing start up finance from banks particularly as like most businesses I will start as a one man band which obviously with a medical condition adds to the risk. I have been working on the business plan for what seems like an eternity and just hope it's good enough! I guess there's only one way to find out!

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated!

Iain
ipkenny100

Postby elizabeth » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi

This is an article from a few years ago about Kevin Mashford:
http://www.building.co.uk/lean-mean-mac ... 64.article

Since then he's got worse, had a heart transplant and started another business on top.
http://www.miheart.co.uk/about

Might be worth your getting in touch with him and asking those questions.
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Return to General Discussion Group