Perks to Having a Dodgy Ticker!!

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Perks to Having a Dodgy Ticker!!

Postby Becstar » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new so sorry if this has already been discussed.

I was born with a heart condition ( technical term of Trcuspd atresia with transposition of the great arteries and pulmonary stenosis) I had 2 major ops when i was younger and recently I have had 2 Cardiac Ablations with being electrically Cardioverted in-between, I seem to be back to my normal beat with now the occasional flutter.

I was wondering if anyone has a similar condition and what help/support you may get, when I was younger my mum had to stop work to look after me and was refused any kind of financial support, she didn't press the matter. I am now all grown upish at 31 and I do go out to work, I do struggle to work full time and run a small flat for 2. I have never got any financial support and wondered if I am entitled to it. People are shocked when I say that I pay for my prescription which is now £8.05 per medication.

My Fiancé was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago and he gets all his prescriptions free am I missing something or is it that I was unlucky to have a condition the Government seem to think don’t need support. I checked with CAB but they were no help.

I don't want to be a kept woman (well maybe a little) but I see there are lots of people who are a lot healthier than me and they get accommodation, prescriptions, money in their account every week and they get to stay at home all day.

I just wanted to know as at some point I know I won't find work as easy and I worry that we could lose everything we have worked so hard to build.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Love

BecStar :D
Becstar

Re: Perks to Having a Dodgy Ticker!!

Postby elizabeth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi

If you pay for your prescriptions and need more than 1 per month, you can cap the cost by buying a Prescription Prepayment Certificate.

Details here:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx

That means that however many prescriptions you need in a month you only pay £104 for the year (or £8.67 per month - though in fact you pay in 10 not 12 instalments). The list of conditions which benefit from free prescriptions is very out-of-date and there was a policy announced by the previous government to extend free prescriptions to all people with long-term health conditions. It didn't happen. But the certificate means the cost is not too ruinous. There are also concessions if your income is very low. Follow the links from the page above to find out if you qualify.

As regards supporting yourself in the future, it's a worry a lot of us have. Good pension provision helps, and finding a job with a good hourly rate so that if necessary you could do fewer hours but still bring home more than you would if you weren't working. And if there are 2 of you, I'm sure that helps as you can pool resources and have 2 incomes but only 1 set of housing/living costs.
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Return to General Discussion Group