Disability living allowance/personal Independance Payment

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Disability living allowance/personal Independance Payment

Postby Andreakellis » Sat May 10, 2014 9:28 am

Hi we are thinking now that my son who has never claimed a penny and has worked since leaving school that now maybe the time to think about claiming for pip! He had surgery just under 3 weeks ago for a carotid to carotid graft to prepare for a stent for his aortic aneurysm. Unfortunately the surgery has failed and the bypass is blocked and also straight after surgery he had a stroke affecting his speech and his right arm. He is now on tinziparin aspirin they have taken him off blood pressure meds because of the stroke. Just wondering if anyone can give any advice on how to start ball rolling for this payment. We are feeling totally overwhelmed with everything at the mo and need of a little support/advice. He works as a self employed window cleaner/cleaner. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated thank you
Andreakellis

Re: Disability living allowance/personal Independance Paymen

Postby elizabeth » Sun May 11, 2014 11:53 am

Hi, Andrea

The official website for PIP is here and has a page on how to claim:
https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview

But it's probably a good idea to get local support e.g. the CAB and ask for their help in navigating the process. I doubt it's as straightforward as that website makes out! There is a postcode tool for finding local groups, or try asking at the doctor's or the library. DIAL is also helpful.

If you phone the Somerville Foundation, they may be able to put you in touch with people who have experience of how this works with heart conditions: it's a relatively new thing and I don't know how different the criteria are (or aren't) from its predecessor, DLA.

Good luck - I hope you can start to sort things out and get on top of all the things that are going on.
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
elizabeth

Re: Disability living allowance/personal Independance Paymen

Postby Bute » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Contact a Family have a great deal of info/advice on PIP as it's 16+ and therefore still in the realm of children/young people.
Bute

Return to General Discussion Group