relocating ICD

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

relocating ICD

Postby jacquidore » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm

I have been told that the hospital would like to re-locate my ICD into my back. I am not happy about this as this would mean when I am sitting on laying I would be feeling it and could be uncomfortable.

Is there anyone out there who has there ICD situated in their back, your comments would be appreciated.
Jacqui
jacquiDore
jacquidore

Postby Jo S » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Goodness me, that sounds uncomfy. Why do they want to put it in your back? I know where I'd suggest they put it if I wasn't happy!!! :)
ASD & mitral valve repair 1974 (aged 3).
No problems for the next 33yrs!
Cardiac Arrest & ICD fitted Feb 2008.
Aortic root & aortic valve replacement. AF ablation Oct 2008.
Mitral valve replacement Oct 2010
Jo S

Relocating ICD

Postby jacquidore » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Jo. I had too mind to tell them to strap on on their backs for a month and see how they like it!

However, after emailing questions in to the Cardiac Nurse, she checked and it appeared we both had it wrong. The box will remain insitu, but the lead will be replaced and located behind the heart in my back. It still begs to question will the lead be under the skin or the ribs?

It was an uncomfortable thought having the box in my back, how did they expect anyone to sit back and relax with that digging into you?

I am due a new ICD, so rather than replace it now, it will be done at the same time as my valves. TV & PV.

Take care

Jacqui
jacquiDore
jacquidore

Postby Jo S » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I am glad to hear that Jacqui. Personally, I wouldnt be too worried about the exact location of my wires as long as they were connected properly!

Hope all goes well for your surgery. Is it likely to be soon?
ASD & mitral valve repair 1974 (aged 3).
No problems for the next 33yrs!
Cardiac Arrest & ICD fitted Feb 2008.
Aortic root & aortic valve replacement. AF ablation Oct 2008.
Mitral valve replacement Oct 2010
Jo S

Return to General Discussion Group