Spironolactone and Periods

A place for GUCH Patients and their families to exchange experiences and gain support. So please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Spironolactone and Periods

Postby Suzi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi,

Question for the girls, I was on the combined pill for years and came off it in July 2007 and for a few months had regular periods then they gradually got further and further apart, the most was about 11 weeks then I was ill and got put on spironolactone at the beginning of 2008 and since then I have had one or two periods up until now but they were very light and insignificant.
Has anyone else on spiro had problems with their menstrual cycle, I have no idea where I am in my cycle or even if any ovulation is taking place and it is very frustrating!!

Any feedback would be very welcome

Suzi

Postby Sarah Jayne » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi Suzi iv been on that for 9 months now and i dont have any periods any more prob once or twice and you couldnt really call it a period so im hope that helps.. i actually came of the pill for 2 months now im bk on it and for 3 months now iv had very reguler periods almost like having that break kicked my cycle bk in 2 action lol hope that helps Sarah x
Born 1986. With T.G.A sennings at 8 months old
Leaky valve
Ablation due to S.V.Ts
I have a lovely 2 yr old boy (sadly no more pregnancies)
Sarah Jayne

Postby Hj285 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 am

Hiya,

I've been on sprionaloactone for many many years. I did have problem periods. I had the opposite problem to yourself though. I had 2 very heavy periods a month. I saw my GP and tried a synthetic hormone to see if they would regulate me it didn't. In the end I was referred a Gynecologist and they put me onto the depo provera injection which stopped my periods altogether, which after having heavy periods for years was a relief. I don't know if this was down to spironolactone or not because I am on other mediation too. It's worth having a chat with your GP to s what he/ she can do for you.

Hayley xxx
PA, VSD, dilated aortic root, aortic and mitral regurgitation, PH.
1985: Waterston shunt
27/05/2011: ICD implanted
AF x5 all cardioverted
Hj285

Postby Suzi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi Sarah-Jayne and Hayley,

Thanks very much for your replies, I'm so glad it isn't just me who has had absent periods - although Hayley I know you don't have the same problem I have but thank you for replying.
:D
Suzi

Re: Spironolactone and Periods

Postby lifeandotherstories » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:46 pm

This post has been really interesting to me as I was put on spironolactone nearly 3 years ago. At first my periods became very light - but for the last 6 - 9 months or so have been heavy and seem to have go on forever - sometimes over 2 weeks. Doesn't help that I'm 47 & most probably pre menopausal!
lifeandotherstories

Return to General Discussion Group