Terrified of surgery - please can anyone help?

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Terrified of surgery - please can anyone help?

Postby hippylippy » Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 pm

HI everyone

I'm new to the chat rooms and I'm so glad to have found this site. I'm 44. live in Leeds and I have an ASD, with a bit of wrong 'plumbing'. The right side of my heart is now severely dilated. I was diagnosed in 2011, and told that I'd need surgery but wasn't well enough to have it due to other health issues. I've had a hysterectomy in 2013, and a few weeks ago was told that it is now time to do the heart surgery.

It is going to be open heart surgery, as the hole is large and needs a patch, as well as a blood vessels that need moving as they are in the wrong place.

Anyway - I've been told that the surgery will be in December, as I am a bit overweight and the doctors would like me to reduce this and increase my aerobic fitness.

I am absolutely terrified of the surgery. I'm single at the moment so live on my own. and I don't have any family close by. I'm fortunate to have a wonderful group of friends, but don't want to burden them.

I am scared of having complications from the surgery, especially stroke, as that's how my mum died. The thought of it all completely freaks me out. I'm meeting the heart surgeon for the first time on 18th May - and even the thought of that sends me in a panic. I'm not usually over anxious, but I'm struggling to get my head round all this.

Is there anyone out there who understands? Anyone who has been through surgery in adulthood? Any advice or support you can give me would be wonderful, I'd be so grateful as I really don't know where to turn.

Thanks so much

x
hippylippy

Return to 39 Plus