liver cirrhosis and swelling

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

liver cirrhosis and swelling

Postby kstez » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site. Recently I was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis due to heart issues. Also i am now dealing with a lot of swelling in my legs. Has anyone got any experience with this type of thing?

I was born with tga and it was corrected witb the mustard procedure in 1971. I developed tachycardia and hf due to my leaky tricuspid valve. I take ace inhibitors and lasix aldactone.

Kathy T
46 tga
kstez

Re: liver cirrhosis and swelling

Postby Forlyd » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:38 am

Hello Kathy,
You seem surprised at the symptoms you are experiencing ! Has your Gp not explained that a leaky tricuspid valve allows back pressure of the blood from the liver, thus causing cirrhosis of the liver ? And yes swelling of the ankles and legs but this can be controlled by water retention tablets such as Furosemide. I speak from experience of having severe tricuspid regurgitation for many years and the old "Balloon Ankles" . I am not able to have my leaky tricuspid valve replaced but, as long as my 38 year old "Piggy" pulmonary valve keeps going I will be happy ! Why not go to your Gp and ask for help to make you more comfortable ? You don't need to suffer in silence.
Hope you manage to get things in motion.
Love from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Return to 39 Plus