A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Postby Arman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Just wondered who is the oldest person here on this group/page ?Just curious! I am 42. Hope everyone is keeping well and happy. I wish everyone a very happy,healthy 2013. Take care of yourselves.x
dextracardia
right BT shunt 1981
TCPC 1992
Single right ventricle
ventricular septal defect
pulmonary stenosis
leak from aortic valve
Arman

Re: age

Postby susan manley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:19 pm

I know I am not the eldest but am 60 and was diagnosed at birth and given 2 years, Not bad aye!!! Thank you Mr Drew and team
susan manley

Postby paula-43 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 pm

hi all
i'm 43 with TOF at birth, repaired age 3 by Mr deveral killingbeck hospital leeds, goining for minor opp 4th feb at birmingham, i'm fit and healthy and well over my predictited life span (19) and loking forward to the next 57 years!!!

Paula x
TETRALOGY OF FALLOT
REPAIR 1973
paula-43

Postby Forlyd » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Hello Arman,
Thanks for your good wishes.
Like Susan, I was diagnosed with Tof at birth, given a prognosis of " She won't live to see her teens". I am now going on 65 years old and looking forward to my "Ruby Wedding Anniversary " in 12 days time. This is all thanks to Mr's Blezofski, Prof.Tynan, Baine, Burke, Chaudhari, etc.etc. Oh and not forgetting my angel "Hubby"
Longevity is decided by three things. One, how bad your heart was at birth. Two, how good your treatment has been. And three, your own mental attitude toward your disability !!
( Before I get invaded by irate tof's I am one of those tof's who see no shame in admitting I am not in as good condition as able bodied people, and therefore, I am "Disabled". )
If you believe in your own ability to fight for your survival, you will survive !!! Never say "I don't think I can make it" I, admittedly, have for many years, been surrounded by people who are always ready to catch me if I stumble, but the will to survive must be there to begin with. Never give up. " We are the champions "
Take good care of yourself.
Love from Lydia.
Tof,Pulmonary valvotomy 1952,Pott's shunt 1955,Pott's correction-VSD & dacron graft with Hancock valve 1975. Ablation 2001.Bivent.fail & AF 2002. Cardioversion 2002.Paroxy AF 2002. Ostial stenosis right CA. Cardiac arrrest-ICD 2004. In AF-vent/pacing.
Forlyd

Postby susan manley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Being 'born to die '[as it were] life becomes very precious. I am disabled but have been lucky enough to have the inner strength to work with it and cope with a range of other serious illnesses. I have two lovely children and 4 beautiful grandaughters. We celebrated out ruby wedding in 2011 and I reached 60 last year. These 2 events really brought home to me how amazing it all has been.
There have been ups and downs, tears and laughter and pain and excitement!!! BUT MY IT HAS BEEN WORTH IT!!!!!

Everyone fights their own battles and demons but this site gives us understanding friends to help dry tears or celebrate each conquest

thank you all
susan manley

Postby paula-43 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 am

well Susan and Lydia,
I couldn't have put it better myself........ 2 excellent post's :) :)

Paula xx
TETRALOGY OF FALLOT
REPAIR 1973
paula-43

Postby Arman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Thank you all very much for your lovely,interesting,positive,life-affirming,joyful replies. :D :) I do wish you all the best, everything you deserve, happiness,peace and the joy of living a full life for as long as it lasts with:your God,your family,your friends. :lol: 8) :) :D Take care of yourslevesx
dextracardia
right BT shunt 1981
TCPC 1992
Single right ventricle
pulmonary stenosis
leak from aortic valve
Arman

Postby Arman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I forgot to also say how happy your replies made me, and I am as grateful as you all are. LIVE LIFE :D LOVE LIFE :D :) 8) :lol:
dextracardia
right BT shunt 1981
TCPC 1992
Single right ventricle
pulmonary stenosis
leak from aortic valve
Arman

Postby susan manley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Glad we made you happy.....That makes us happy too :D :D :D :D :D
susan manley

Postby glassheart » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello everyone, I am so grateful to my dear friend Arman and to you all for being here, I am 38 years old and felt like I don't have that many years to go, but reading posts of some of you who are 65 and enjoying life has given me such encouragement, I need to be positive just like you guys and enjoy my present health and my life with my caring husband. :D
Congenital Aortic Stenosis and Mitral Regurgitation Aortic valve replacement 1986
AVR and Mitral Valve Repair 1995
Stent Implantation 1995
Mitral Valve Replacement 2000
glassheart

Postby susan manley » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:12 pm

What we have to remember is that each of us are unique and that science is developing all the time.
When I got married my husband to be was given a heart to heart chat by my father who made it very clear to him that even though I had already shown life estimates to be wrong he was sure that the 25 one was probable..we even laugh about it now as he jokes he was conned into an early marriage!!! :D :D [he was 22 and me 19]
susan manley

Postby glassheart » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Susan that is amazing. :) xx
Congenital Aortic Stenosis and Mitral Regurgitation Aortic valve replacement 1986
AVR and Mitral Valve Repair 1995
Stent Implantation 1995
Mitral Valve Replacement 2000
glassheart

Postby firebird » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 pm

43, was not given much of a chance at birth but then decided I was going to stick around. Discharged at 16 and told not to darken their doors again, as if I would!, and dragged kicking and screaming back into adult services at 40 and already sick to death of hearing, 'that's the way it was in those days'.

Errrm, don't consider myself disabled, but that's probably got a lot to do with the fact I thought I was 'normal' between the ages of 16 and 40. But admittedly am currently struggling with the whole idea that because I have congenital difficulties my life may well be shortened. Feeling at the moment is a half and half of outright, knee knocking fear that I'm going to pop my clogs before I hit 50 and a bullheadedness that says, 'how VERY DARE you say my life will be shortened! Just for that I'm going to stick around till I'm at least 120 and tell you everyday loudly and voraciously I AM NOT DEAD!'

My nanny was 97 when she died, I'm planning on that as the starting age for my mid life crisis... :D
firebird

Postby susan manley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm

remember anyone can get run over by a bus having not appreciated the life they have had, so we have a great advantage really
susan manley

Postby firebird » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 pm

susan manley wrote:remember anyone can get run over by a bus having not appreciated the life they have had, so we have a great advantage really

That's the best excuse I've ever heard for wearing good underwear!

And yes, totally agree, having congenital heart problems does give a person a greater appreciation of just how AMAZING life is!
firebird

Next

Return to 39 Plus