A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Re: age

Postby susan manley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:55 pm

"That's the best excuse I've ever heard for wearing good underwear! "

This reminded me of a very embarrassing occasion in my life [which I will just share with you alone!]
In 1994 we began building an extension to our house. The first day I was helping by piling used, but re-usable blocks, that were coming off the old wall. So, as you can imagine, I was dressed accordingly...old shorts, worn out shoes, falling to pieces top etc. In the middle of this I had to rush [late again] to collect my daughter from the stables so didn't bother to change. On arrival i stopped for a cuppa but as I was leaving I was overwhelmed by terrible pain, collapsed and got rushed to hospital [it was a tumour on the kidney by the way]. On arrival a male nurse began to undress me as I could do nothing for myself...except the odd scream or two...and as he did so he began to laugh and said " Blo"""*y He*l. What were you paid to wear this lot!!!"
Even I managed a laugh, and a blush.

So granny was right to tell us to always wear clean underwear!!
susan manley

Postby Pat M Straughan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm going to be 60 later this year though my GUCH brother will be 77. Both had aortic valve replacement but not fully diagnosed until adults.
Pat M Straughan

Postby Arman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Thank You Susan, yes we have the gift and pleasure of appreciating every day of life. :D
Thank You glassheart, as I have always told you, we must stay as positive as we can every day, and appreciate the life we have, the family and friends we have and enjoy the precious days we are given. :D
None of us human beings, heart condition or not, know how long we have, which is a very good thing, : so we Must LIVE LIFE and LOVE LIFE :D :) 8)
dextracardia
right BT shunt 1981
TCPC 1992
Single right ventricle
ventricular septal defect
pulmonary stenosis
leak from aortic valve
Arman

Postby Arman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm

HA HA !! Susan,That's brilliant! :shock: :? :oops: :wink:( I mean the clean underwear incident) :oops:
dextracardia
right BT shunt 1981
TCPC 1992
Single right ventricle
ventricular septal defect
pulmonary stenosis
leak from aortic valve
Arman

Postby debbysheart » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:20 am

How nice to see posts from so many adults. I will be 50 in March. I never thought I would get this far, when I was one year old, and had my first surgery (1964) the doctors told my mother to have another child, they did not expect me
to thrive. Well I proved them wrong. I never me an adult like me so growing up it always lingered in my mind, how long will I be here? I eventually became a very active child around age 10 and stayed that way until I was 40.
I am very fortunate to have a son, who is 23 years old and became a grandmother this year. I have slowed down a little, but I know if I would be more active I would feel better. So far the only things new that have come on with age is a more rapid heart rate that I take medication for and an arithmia. I have a 46 year old Dacron patch on my VSD, they repaired my coarctation of the aorta, and fixed my paton ductus (please excuse any spelling errors).
I had my first heart MRI last year at Duke University Adult Congenital Heart Center and they found that I also have a bicusbid aortic valve, they say that is common with my types of defects.
I started seeing an Adult Congenital Heart Doctor 4 years ago when I was mis-diagnosed with pulmanary hypertension at our local hospital. I knew something wasn't right when the doctor who did my cath. said how happy he was he had the opportunity to do it, he had never seen a heart like mine. Lucky for me he was the same doctor who recommened I go to the Adult Congenital Heart Center.
Nice to meet you all. I am in the United States. You have I nice group here and I look forward to talking with you again. :)
Born 1963, first surgery 1964 to slow down blood flow and stent put in to stretch Aorta. 1967 to repair defects. (Bicuspid Aortic Valve was not repaired found in 2012) VSD, Coarctation of the Aorta, Bicuspid Aortic Valve, Patent Ductus Arteriosus
debbysheart

Previous

Return to 39 Plus