Gym

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Gym

Postby stukingpt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:22 am

Hi guys , does anyone use gyms if so what sort of hassle did you get from the centre also what do you do in the gym
stukingpt

Re: Gym

Postby Paul Polo Willgoss » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi,

depends on the gym and what you want to do - mine just wanted a scribbled note from my GP to say I was ok to play on the machines - which is probably the minimum they should be asking for to cover insurance anyway (it's annoying and I've ranted about it here - http://www.achaheart.org/home/blog/entr ... -note.aspx ).

In terms of what I do it depends what else I'm doing - normally I use the gym for conditioning and specific toning - so static bike use to keep the legs going, core exercises to help with the climbing (and running), time on the wobble board to build ankle strength. What I don't tend to so is run on the treadmill as its as boring as sin! In the new year I'll be building in some low weight / high rep work for upper body conditioning for the climbing combined with some serious running...

Not sure if that helps...

Paul
The year of the mid-life crisis

http://www.justgiving.com/fallotsrunner
Paul Polo Willgoss

Postby Reuben White » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm

IN my experience, most Gyms are very supportive and meet group and individual needs..by walking in and arranging a tour one can pick up on whether this gym meets your needs..or not it is beneficial to have clarity of intentions before being shown around as then we find out whether the gym and it's facilities meet our needs.., I use and support the local sports centre currently attending circuit training sessions, hire the tennis court and use the swimming pool in the summer months.., as for the gym work by attending local gyms and learning different techniques and training methods I now train from the garage using free weights this combined with looking at and studying diets, im fortunate to maintain a fairly god level of health, well being and active life style..i do hope all of the above is of help and wish you well with your gym experience
Reuben White

Postby Mustard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm

No hassle at all, just said i have a heart condition and I'm fine.

girl said ok and don't be a curl monkey.
Mustard

Postby susan manley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 pm

I did a gym intro through the excercise on prescription thing some years ago. Took me about 3 seconds to realise the trainer had no idea about CHD
susan manley

Postby Mustard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:12 pm

susan manley wrote:I did a gym intro through the excercise on prescription thing some years ago. Took me about 3 seconds to realise the trainer had no idea about CHD

No, but they shouldn't have to - you will near always understand and know your symptoms far better than anyone else.

anyway how do you get prescribed the gym???? costing me a small fortune each month at the moment!
Mustard

Postby susan manley » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:44 pm

It was only to cover the assessment and then a follow up session so not for me as an unemployable but unbenifited individual [that is code for no money!!] :)
susan manley

Postby Mustard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:53 pm

yea i've been called unemployable loads as well !
Mustard

Return to 39 Plus