tired and irritable

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

tired and irritable

Postby susan manley » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello me again!!!

Although I do suffer from anxiety and depression earlier in the year the symptons were much better...might be due to excitement of reaching grand old age of 60 and feeling life was ticking along nicely
However I have really been struggling recently. I have had to go back on medication and am generally struggling.
Perhaps the excitement of the birthday was too much, being diagnosed with diabetis [following last years pancrititus] or perhaps it is due to my incapacity benefit being stopped and the aweful ordeal of the tribunarul. Whatever I have started having flashbacks and nightmares again, feel constantly worried and getting aches and pains associated with my state of mind. i am putting on weight and feel very lathargic as well as not sleeping very well.

Has anyone else had anything like this. I really thought I had got control of my head and thereby my life but that has all gone

Should I contact my CHD doctor or are the chest pains just nerves?
I feel I have reached the age [which no one ever expected] when I am just a burden to friends, family and mainly the state....I have even had nightmares about this liverpudlian care thing
susan manley

Re: tired and irritable

Postby vicki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Susan,

I think you are experiencing perfectly normal feelings. You've been through a lot recently with the benefits agency and you reached a big milestone age wise. I know "normal" people who feel freaked out when they have milestone birthdays.

It might help to talk to someone about how you are feeling, does your unit have access to consillors or can you access that service through your GP?

I know you said previously you didn't want to pursue the benefits thing, but it is terrible that you get nothing and you are entitled to make a new claim. I would suggest you get help with your forms from one of the disability advice groups, they will help you and make the process less stressful. It sounds as if your health has changed, so it is worth making a new claim for employment and support allowance. If your income is down that may be adding to your stress levels.

The Liverpudlian care thing- is that the Liverpool Care Pathway? Has someone been discussing this with you?

Remember The Somerville Foundation has a telephone helpline 0800 845 759 which has an answer phone service. An advisor will phone you back if you leave a message, or the email helpline is helpline@thesf.org.uk

Sometimes it just helps to talk to someone to get things straight in your head.

Vicki xx
vicki

Postby susan manley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:30 pm

thank you for your very 'sensible' reply. That is what I need to get me straight I think.
I do attend councilling again [after a few months break] and hope that will help. It is hard for her to understand some of the stuff as she is a young healthy individual but she does her best!!
She has recommended I send a letter to the tribuneral people telling them what they have done to me and helped me start it. However I am still a bit 'raw' and have not finished it.

I do think that my birthday was exciting and felt like a miracle to me but I did jokingly say to a friend that i have been dying all my life and now I have been given the sh**! years to live and I wonder if that is a bit of how I feel. The liverpool thing was just what I heard on the radio and then, when I ta;ked to my children [31 & 37] I was shocked that they seemed to feel it was a good idea and had been happening for ages everywhere and now I am scared that I will end up in hospital being starved to death. I know this is a bit hysterical but it has made a caring place into a threat for me.

Thank you again
susan manley

Postby vicki » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Susan,

I think living with dying is difficult for many of us, we are writing the textbooks and living way past what anyone ever thought possible. Living with any life limiting illness is hard. You are perfectly normal and very brave to be discussing death and dying with your family.

The Liverpool Care Pathway (LCP) is a well used and recognised care plan, although sometimes it's not implemented properly- maybe that's what you were hearing on the radio? The LCP is not about starving people to death, no one is going to drag you into the hospital tomorrow and stick you on it- honest! It's about withdrawing unnecessary medication, making people comfortable, making sure families are fully informed, people can still drink and eat if they are on it and able, people can be taken off it if their condition improves and put back on if their condition deterorates. It is flexible and not set in stone.

If you are or when you get to the stage of being terminal (or before) you can ask for a referral to your local hospice. Hospices are not just for people with cancer. People don't necessarily go into hospice to die, they can go in and have their symptoms controlled and them go home again. For example a common thing might be people might be in pain and go into hospice for a couple of weeks to get there pain under control. Or sometimes people go in for respite (for them and their families). When or if you become more unwell you can get a referral to the mcmillian nursing service, again not just for those with cancer, but for any life limiting illness.

When you are ready to do something about the benefits you could get in touch with your local disability information line. I seem to remember you live in Devon, the information is http://www.devon.gov.uk/dis.htm here. Someone there will be able to help you. You might feel better if you tackle this, somewhere to direct your frustration and anger instead of worrying about it which could be causing you to feel more anxious. There appears to be an advocacy service too, although I haven't looked to see what they do in your area, but they may be able to help you. I think you do need to get some help as my understanding is once a tribunal has made a decision it cannot be overturned, which is why I suggested making a new claim. I hope this is of some help.

Please remember if you want to talk to a trained volunteer to call the helpline or email the email helpline.

Take care Vicki x
vicki

Postby susan manley » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Thank you
susan manley

Return to 39 Plus