Extra Benifit Support?

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, Moderator3

Extra Benifit Support?

Postby Raych » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi, I don't come on here often but really grateful for the support when I do.
I'm now 43, had 3 previous OHS and now have a severely leaking aotic valve. I'm at the moment going for tests and second opinions to see if surgery is an option.

Anyway, I'm knackered. All the time. So this year, with a lot of thought I reduced my hours at work and became a part timer. Though this has been a great benefit to my emotional and mental health - less stress, more energy to enjoy my life, quiet noise in my head after the the noise got so loud I went a bit loopy. After 3 months, I can see I'm going to struggle a bit financially, even though I've cut back on stuff like a holiday, trips out with friends etc.

Problem is I won't get Disability allowance as I can dress, cook and drive for myself and work 4 days a week.

I'm single with no dependents and family who live miles away, I'm a very independent person who was extremely active till about 3 years ago when I just wound down and found I couldn't wind myself back up again!

Any advice about other benefits I could try claiming for? Or is it as I suspect a hopeless case and so I should contemplate going back to work full time and risking going loopy with stress again.

Thanks to any replies, Raych.
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:50 pm
Location: Bristol

Postby elizabeth » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi, Raych

I wondered if you might get working tax credits but I don't know the rules really. Then I remembered this calculator, which is a far better idea:

Hopefully that should give you some idea what your position is.

Other people know more about DLA than I do, and if you do a search there are some threads about it, but they do say that you describe a bad day on the forms.

The other thing you might want to look at - depending on your domestic situation - is taking a lodger. You can rent a room out tax-free if the income is under a certain amount (currently £4,250 per year), or if you get more than that just get taxed on the excess. Have a look here:
http://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/guides ... your-home/

Good luck - I hope you can get the valve sorted and start to feel better.
TGA - 1976, Mustard 1977 & baffle repair 1984.
User avatar
Posts: 1135
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Oxford


Postby superwoman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:44 pm

HI Raych

Glad you are feeling better for reducing your hours etc.

I think you should apply for DLA or look into working tax credits. I would suggest you contact local DIAL office or disability forum who will help you complete the application. You do not have to be completely unable to look after yourself to qualify.

If it helps you any I went to the local disability forum for help with my forms and got higher rate DLA. I also work FT although wish to reduce my hours as FT is getting a bit much more often than not.

If I can help you or you have questions please feel free to PM me.

Good luck

Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:34 am
Location: near glasgow, scotland

Postby susan manley » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 pm

This is an interesting post.
I had to stop work 5 years ago and had benefit but now, although my health has not improved [in fact the opposite] I have lost all of it.
Hope this is just my problem and not everyone is suffering the same.
susan manley
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 am
Location: devon

Postby Raych » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks for the replies, sorry I was off work for a days and unable to get to a computer.

I shall certainly investigate all the options/ideas you've given me, thank you.

Raych x
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:50 pm
Location: Bristol

Return to 39 Plus

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest