Work .......again

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Work .......again

Postby skip » Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I know there was a work thread a little while ago but was hoping to re-start it!
Long story short i really feel like i am struggling at present, and dropping down from full time is now a thought process that i did not expect to be considering. I've had a chest infection recently which has knocked me around so i'm still unsure how tired i am etc.
Just a massive dilemma now, with the implications of leaving one job and being on a shorter week. My time off record is looking very poor as well with constant hospital appts etc.....and i know that they are meant to let you have time off etc, but that doesn't stop the behind your back comments.
Really interested to hear from others going through or gone through this.

Regards and take it easy!
skip

Postby SJB » Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Skip,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. There was an article on employment in the Spring 2011 issue of GUCH New which included some sources of help. I am attaching the link. The article is on p.6.

http://www.guch.org.uk/experiences/gnpd ... sue_64.pdf

There are alternatives to going part time which, as you say, is a big step and may have long-term as well as immediate financial mplications such as on your pension. Therefore, it would be worth exploring other options. Many employers offer flexible working schemes (to all staff, not just those needing reasonale adjustments). This can be particularly useful as you can work according to your energy levels - i.e. do longer days when you feel up to it so that you can then work shorter days when you are exhausted. There are other variable attendance schemes available such as Compresed Working where you still work a full week in term of the number of hours but over fewer days - e.g. 4 day a week instead of 5. The disadvantage of this is that you would be working longer days which could be too tiring. The advantage is that you get an extra day each week to recover. Depending on what work you do, it may be possible to work at home occassionally or regularly. With modern technology there is a lot that you can do remotely.

My advice would be to talk to your employer and find out what is available and make use of anything that might help. Ultimately, a shorter week may be the best option for your general well-being and quality of life but it is worth looking at other options which may provide a solution to maintaining a healthy worl-life balance.

GUCH also operate a scheme to provide a free legal consultation to GUCH's experiencing employment difficulties arising from their heart condition and have published a leaflet with the details - available in the Information section of the website.

I have a bit of experience of this subject, both as a GUCH myself and as a manager of staff with health problems and disabilities. I also picked up some useful info whilst I was researching the article in GUCH News so might be able to make some further suggestions based on your personal situation and the specific work that you do. I am happy to provide further advice and help if I can - feel free to PM me.

I hope this helps and that things get easier for you. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sarah
SJB

Postby aghorner » Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 pm

I went from working five days a week down to four about 18 months ago, because of the recession my employer had to make savings. I no longer work. Fridays.

I was struggling with full time, so it has actually being the best thing that has happened to me. When I'm at work I'm less tired and more productive. Having friday off also means I can plan things like blood tests for Fridays, it also means I can concentrate on doing GUCH stuff on a Friday. (That's why all the website updates take place on a friday :)).

Before my hours were reduced, I did try working an extra hour a day, so that I could finish early on a Friday. To be honest, though it sounds like a good idea at first, it gets old very quickly when you're actually doing it. By the time I got home on an evening, it seemed that most of the evening had gone.

Yes there is a financial hit, but I feel the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Yours - Antony
Tetralogy of Fallot with Absent Right Pulmonary Artery
Significant Pulmonary Regurgitation with Right Ventricular Dilation
Atrial Flutter

Webmaster for the Somerville Foundation

When requesting technical support please include your username!
aghorner
Site Admin

Return to 39 Plus