Newbie looking for a bit support

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Newbie looking for a bit support

Postby Mandsmummy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi my names Sharon I'm 40yrs old and was born with pulmonary stenosis. Apart from a catheterisation when I was eight I have had no medical interventions only the usual check ups throughout my life, so feel a bit of a fraud after reading some of the posts....

I have four children the last being born sept 2011, throughout that pregnancy I was extremely fatigued and needless to say developed complications after she was born, I went into heart failure which I have to say was the scariest thing I have experienced in my life. The cardiology dept where fabulous and got me sorted very quickly, I was back to normall within four days :D.

Last week I attended the jubilee in Clydebank Scotland and had an MRI and the usual echos and ECGs after speaking with the cardiologist he advised me to prepare for the likelihood of having open heart surgery :shock: I need to have a few more test before the decision is finalised but realise its inevitable at this stage. What they plan to do is cut some of the muscle away from my heart as the pressure is to high.

I was wondering if anyone here could let me know what to expect I guess I have so many question r.e recovery time, pain medication and going back to work, things keep popping into my head all the time and I'm feeling a bit shakey about it all at the minute...

Anyway thanks for reading and look forward to hearing any much needed advice X
Mandsmummy

Postby Marc Walls » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi there welcome to the site. Don't feel like a fraud, we all have different problems but were all in the same boat so to speak.

First off sorry to hear you are being out forward for surgery. As with anyone recovery times and that are different. Some people bounce back and others can have other problems. As for the pain side. No Dr or GP will leave you in pain or feeling uncomfortable. It's a bit thing to take in but as I say to anyone, stay positive and you will come out a stronger person.
Is this box really gonna be big enough for me to explain my medical history. Ummmmmm.

I'm back to front!
Marc Walls

Postby vicki » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Sharon,

Welcome from another Scot :D

I would suggest you post your post on the main discussion site- more people may look at it there.

You might be interested to know the GUCH annual conference will be held in Glasgow this year. Details will be announced shortly.

GUCH PA also have a freephone helpline 0800854759 and a email helpline- helpline@guch.org.uk

Vicki
vicki

Postby Mandsmummy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Marc and Vikki and thanks for the quick replies just putting it down in words helps a little. Will post in the general page when I get the chance and look forward to getting to know a few folk in the same boat as me.

Take care and speak soon
Mandsmummy

Return to 39 Plus