I've got WHAT?

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

I've got WHAT?

Postby JaxRP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Last December I thought my sudden acute SOB and chest pain was exacerbation of my asthma. Two months, an endoscopy, an echo, a TOE, an angio, and a cardiac MRI later, I've been told I need a new mitral valve, have a pulmonary vein attached to my SVC, and a hole in my heart.

This is after making it to 45, teaching aerobics, walking a mile every night, and carrying twins to full term. You bet I was a little surprised. I'm told I might not even have asthma!

At any rate, I'm just pleased to know the cause, even though I'm a little apprehensive of the cure. Am now downing a large cocktail of drugs and just awaiting a surgery date. I'm not sure working as a theatre nurse in the past is actually a good thing or not - LOL!

It was lovely to find this site and find that there's a group of us older wiser folk to chat amongst. *waves*

Jacquelyn
JaxRP

Postby susan manley » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 pm

it is good to hear you managed so long with no problems and hope all goes well now
susan manley

Postby JaxRP » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks! A surgery date would be nice; hoping it's within the next month or so. I can't believe I'm sayint this, but I'm keen to get back to work!
JaxRP

Postby skip » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Afternoon Jax (sorry if thats wrong!), yes i was in a similar situation when facing surgery that i just wanted it done so i could get back to work! The most frustrating part of this process is waiting for a date and then waiting for surgery!
There are loads of people here willing to share stories, listen and offer advice based on whats worked for them and what may have worked better.....so don't be afraid to ask!

Teaching aerobics though, you'll find the rehab classes after surgery a blast with all the 70 year olds!!!

Good luck though!
skip

Postby JaxRP » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm

This is EXACTLY where I am. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. The heart failure meds and anti-arrythmics I'm on are making me slightly crazy (from lack of sleep from restless leg syndrome) and now all I want is a surgery date. I'm told 4-6 weeks.

At least the surgeons said I'm an "interesting case" and they're keen to "get in there." It's just the need for the valve man and the GUCH team to be available at the same time (and living in a populous area - like you!) that's holding everything up. Grrr. And yes, Jax is right :)
JaxRP

Postby skip » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Jax,

I hope you get a date sorted for your surgery soon and don't have to wait to long!
I would politely suggest that you use the next few weeks while you are waiting to get some plans togther for when you make bail and they let you out of hospital!All those books that you never read / DVD's you never watched etc...its the perfect time to do it...as you wont be allowed to a whole lot else after surgery!

I had my mitral valve replaced replaced in Dec 09 and was in hospital for just over a week, hopefully the weather will be ok when they let you loose as this will encourage you to get out and get active again etc!

Regards and take it easy in the meantime.
skip

Return to 39 Plus