working GUCHes

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

working GUCHes

Postby David C. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi All,
Im not yes officially a member of the 39Plus group since I just made it to 37 (on the 20.6) but I was wondering how many are still working full time and how do they cope between working live, life at home and the heart condition. At the moment Im working approx. 45 hours a week but Im wondering how long I can last with this rythm and if maybe at my early 40 I should ask to work part time if the situation deteriorate. Just over a year ago I had an ICD implanted after an episode of VT. If it wasnt for the help of the Emergency services of the hospital of Venice I dont think I would be here, just happily married and with my wonderful wife expecting a boy.

David
David
Rastelli 1977 and 1983
David C.

Postby filae » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm

My hubby, who is the GUCH, is 55 years old, he works 3 full days a week, he was full time up until April last year, when he was quite poorly and had to take several weeks off, during this time he was made redundant, he started a new job this year in May which is 3 days a week, he is tired by the third day and quite often we cant do much at weekends due to his tiredness, however, his self esteem is lifted and he loves working, he has been written off many tims by the medics, but each time he pulls thro, we both believ this is due to his positive mental attitude and that fact he keeps himself in the loop of working, however, it has to be said that this is not for all GUCH's, some of them are too poorly to go to work, its just each individual is different.
filae

Working full time here!

Postby Scottie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 pm

hi ..51 and working full time as a primary teacher...have to say some days I'm almost too tired to do my prep work in the evenings..but I have to
carry on as I am paying my daughter through uni. I rest a lot at weekend and I am counting the days until the summer hols to recharge my batteries. Awaiting surgery here so I have noticed a sharp decline in energy levels lately.
Scottie
Scottie

Working

Postby Colin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi all,
I am 56 (yes really old) and I work full time and am a quality manager for a chemical distribution company.

I have VSD + Pulmonary hypertension (Eisenmengers) which does cause me some problems from time to time, mainly related to catching other peoples cold, which requires immediate antibiotics to stop the secondary infections, which then lead to coughing up blood.
I do most things (not scuba diving or marathon running etc etc) and find I get by by pacing myself and not over exerting myself.

regards
Col
Colin

Postby Pat M Straughan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm 58 and work 7 days a month, mainly from home but with occasional visits to London, when I'm on my feet all day.

Having been given advice today that I need surgery (which I'm disputing) I am working through how I will manage without giving up my job. I'm self-employed. It wouldn't be a financial disaster but given that the government keeps on putting back my pension age, I hoped to go on working for a few more years.

I've already worked out that what I need to avoid is stress. I've just been through a few months of fairly hectic activity which may have contributed to my deterioration. However, I can currently see a way ahead which would reduce pressure on me without having to give up work. That's the theory at least.

Everyone's financial and employment situation is different.

I feel really well. It is difficult to decide what's attributable to the illness and how much is age-related. Never fancied running or extreme sports but am as active as I want to be.
Pat M Straughan

Re: working GUCHes

Postby sean » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:55 am

Hi, I'm 43 working full time as and incident controller, work 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off nights, with extra o/t shifts on my days off, starting to feel the strain a little now but couldn't imagine not working
Ebstiens Anomaly .
Cardioversion
Tricuspid Valve Replacement
Modified left and right atrial maze procedure
Dual chamber Pacemaker
sean

Postby glassheart » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi David, I am 41, up to 6 years ago I still worked full time, but after I had two internal bleedings both blamed on Warfarin , I was never the same after that, I realiased I get tired faster and I just can't cope with full time work, so I have been Part time ever since, although I did have two further internal bleedings since then which meant I had to reduce my working hours to 16 hours a week. To be honest, if those bleedings had not happened I am sure I would still be working full time.
Congenital Aortic Stenosis and Mitral Regurgitation Aortic valve replacement 1986
AVR and Mitral Valve Repair 1995
Stent Implantation 1995
Mitral Valve Replacement 2000
glassheart

Postby Tricky Dicky » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi David, I'm 52 and still working full time. In the past I've struggled when medication has been changed etc, but since getting a mechanical valve 18 months ago, things have settled down.

I'm on warfarin and just hoping to avoid any internal bleeds.............
Tricky Dicky

Postby Nick261162 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:19 am

Hi,

I am 53 years old and still work full time for a plastic recycling company as a Sales Manager and doing 40 hours a week.
Beginning to feel old & tired now but manage to keep going.
Cannot justify a reduction in hours as have to pay mortgage etc.
Have had no surgery for my CCTGA & VSD but do take medication for SVT's and arrythmias.
Hope to keep going until pension payable.
Good luck to you all!
Nick261162

Return to 39 Plus