Warfarin and weight gain

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

Warfarin and weight gain

Postby joannedibb » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm

I have been on warfarin for nearly 17 years (27th Jan 1993) the date of my last op. I was never overweight before this, but as I have got older and my warfarin intake has increased I have seen my weight increase. Is this just with age or is there a link with warfarin? I have lost weight in the past, but gained it again. I am fairly active and I am only 43 years old.

I have looked into forums overseas and they state a link, but I would be interested to know for sure.
coarcation repair 1968. Recoacation repair 1972. Ionescu-Shiley aortic valve replacement 1986. Replacement metallic aortic valve replacement 1993.
joannedibb

Postby Gilly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:07 am

Hi Joanne

I had my aortic heart valve replaced in Oct 2009 and I'm now on warfarin for life. I have gained weight since my surgery and managed to loose a stone last year only to put it on again. I tried Slimming World (Nov 09 to Feb 10) as this has worked for me before; later on in 2010 I tried Weight Watchers where I lost the stone.

When I read your post, my daughter (17) quickly googled warfarin and came up with the answer that it doesn't cause weight gain, however, I have heard others mention that it does. I have a different theory, I have sabbotaged myself to punish me for everything that has gone wrong.

I'm 42 and have only in the last 4 weeks actually felt like I'm finally over / recovered from my surgery. Mentally I have found it very hard to deal with and accept that my valve had to be replaced (repaired in 1982 by OHS). I had felt like a failure and that I'd let everyone down but now realise I should look to everything I've achieved and not reflect on the past which I can't change. I was doing well, then the snow arrived in Nov, so I didn't exercise, ate all the wrong foods (comfort eating) and put weight on, in fact I was appalled to discover towards the end of Dec my weight was over a stone and a half than what my usually highest weight has ever been. Since 29th Dec I have eaten healthily and included exercise into my daily routine.

I can't tell you yet whether this has worked as I'm not weighing myself until 2nd February, what I can say is my heart burn has gone and now I'm eating a balanced diet of veg & fruit, proteins, carbohydrates and drinking plenty of water; my energy levels are on the increase. I also believe I need to learn to trust my heart again and my instinct so that I can increase my exercise. My Cardiologist has told me no gimmicky diets i.e. shakes, protein bars etc just healthly eating and exercise :D

Sorry for going on but I guess I needed to admit it as well, if that makes sense.

Take care, Gilly x
Aortic Valve Replacement (mechancial) October 2009
Mild Coarctation
Hypertension
Aortic Valvotomy 1982
Gilly

Postby joannedibb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Gilly

Many thanks for your message. Its good to have a good rant now and again! Keep up the good work and stay well. Best wishes Joanne
coarcation repair 1968. Recoacation repair 1972. Ionescu-Shiley aortic valve replacement 1986. Replacement metallic aortic valve replacement 1993.
joannedibb

Postby HeatherMcD1985 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi guys

Im not supposed to post in here as im not over 39 BUT just a word of warning re healthy eating! I love my veg and i often get blated so my weight naturally goes up and down but i keep a close eye on my INR. However, vegtables often have a lot of vitamin K so if you eat them eat them in the same amounts over a week! otherwisse it will mess with your INR. Everyday i find yet another vegtable i love with high vitamin K levels! GARLIC! cabbage etc. You prob know all this but just thought i would say!

I have been on warfarin since 2 years old... 24 years and my warfarin has gone up with age more than weight! although obviously from when i was 2 to 26 i have gained a stone or two :)

Heather
Shones complex
1986 - Coarctation of Aorta
1988 - Mitral valve replacement
1990 - Scar tissue repair
1997 - Mitral valve replaced
2008 - Aortic valve replacement
HeatherMcD1985

Return to 39 Plus