When the cared for becomes the carer

A place exclusively for people aged 39 and over to discuss issues affecting older GUCHs

Moderators: Moderator6, Moderator2, Moderator5, Moderator1, moderator7, Moderator3

When the cared for becomes the carer

Postby tiggersam » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 pm

I was just wondering how many of us "older" GUCHs are now finding ourselves in the position of now becoming carers for elderly or disabled family members, and what strategies those who are in this position use to cope with this.

We might find ourselves having to juggle coping with our own deteriorating health, or blips, and coping with the ill health of a relative as well. Our relatives might find it hard to adjust to the fact that the person who they once cared for, now finds themselves in the position of carer for them.

I found myself in this position, first with my father who passed away almost five years ago, and now my mother who is in a period of ill health.

From my own personal perspective, both my father and mother did find it hard to adjust to the role reversal. I think this was compounded by the fact that I am an only child and most of our other relatives live overseas.

I do worry sometimes that my ability to care as actively as I would like is marred a little by my own ill health. However, on the whole I think my own health problems have had a positive effect when I became a carer. I think my own experiences with ill health have led to me being able to empathise with those I care for now. It has certainly left me in a more assertive position when dealing with medical teams on another’s behalf. It has helped me to communicate not just the needs of those I care for, but my own needs as well. It has also helped me to anticipate and deal with potential problems before they escalate.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of being a carer, and if they had any tips or ideas they might like to share.

Sam
Repair of VSD and pulomonary stenosis 1972 @ GOSH
RBBB and light leak from pulmonary valve
type two diabetic
Primary Ovarian Failure
oesteoarthritus - bone and joint problems - poss heart related
tiggersam

Return to 39 Plus